Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question for Admin

What are the duties of a moderator? Do they include monitoring EVERY thread and making sure that EVERY reply is right in line with their version of what is being talked about? Is this board really that strict? I don't like threads that I'm part of being locked up all the time. It seems like this has just started up in the last month and every week there's threads that are all of a sudden gone or locked. It's getting extremely irritating and I know that I'm not the only one that's tired of it. The minute anyone makes the slightest joke about something, BOOM, someone blows up the thread. Personally I like to laugh. In the past that's been something that I've really enjoyed about this board is that everyone seems to really be having fun but the past several weeks someone has been putting a screaching halt to it.

AMEN!!!!!!

Banned
    Well said Raptureready! This crap is getting very old!

Raptureready, I love your avatar. Is it an available pattern or an original?

Mine is not to lock normal threads I have a specific job here. So I am not guilty, I have not locked a thread yet!!

Banned
    It is pretty disheartening to know you're not allowed to have the "wrong" opinion on here....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    Mine is not to lock normal threads I have a specific job here. So I am not guilty, I have not locked a thread yet!!
    and we really thank you for that!!! We should be able to discuss what we want as long as its clean. This is America :thumbup:

I thought they hung Saddam Hussein!!!!!

Blog Entries
    OK I will answer in general terms here and I am only speaking for myself. Do I read every post and every answer , believe it or not pretty much, yes.

What are the rules of the board ... here is a link

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-30553-1.htm

That also includes a list of the duties of a moderator.

If I have questions about a post I send it on for better advice and guidance.

Sorry, fixed the link

Quote Originally Posted by isnthatodd
    Raptureready, I love your avatar. Is it an available pattern or an original?
    At the extreme risk of hijacking my own thread and getting it shut down, I'll answer you. :lol:

If you click on Search then type in "Directions for Frames quilt (my avy)" it should come up. The directions are sketchy, no fabric requirements, but all the cutting and sewing ones are there. I posted it around Mar. 24th of this year.

Banned
    Oops, Sharon ~ wrong link ;)

Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    and we really thank you for that!!! We should be able to discuss what we want as long as its clean. This is America :thumbup:

I thought they hung Saddam Hussein!!!!!
    Addrss your concerns by PM to Admin, go to home and look at the bottom if his name is in bold, click on it and you can send him a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    OK I will answer in general terms here and I am only speaking for myself. Do I read every post and every answer , believe it or not pretty much, yes.

What are the rules of the board ... here is a link

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-50548-1.htm

That also includes a list of the duties of a moderator.

If I have questions about a post I send it on for better advice and guidance.
    I don't have a problem with that. You seem to be doing a great job but there is a moderator that seems to have a petty vindetta going on. I've been pmd by several other board members that haven't replied in the open. I believe they just might be intimidated by that one particular moderator and that's a shame. I may get kicked off the board but I'm not going to let anyone make me afraid to post while I'm here. I don't swear or post any type of vulgarity, I don't attack anyone or purposely try to antagonize anyone so I don't understand why a moderator is trying to do it to board members.

Banned

Addrss your concerns by PM to Admin, go to home and look at the bottom if his name is in bold, click on it and you can send him a PM.
    Thanks Sharon! I already did as well as a few others I know.

Thanks for the info, raptureready. I absolutely love the quilt and plan on trying it within the next year.

I have not locked down any threads. I just monitor them. My job is just to make sure nothing bad is happening on this board or to direct a post to the right section. Nothing more.

I think that this is a great thread and that it is an important issue that does need to be addressed...and this seems like a great way to do that.

Blog Entries
    I'm going to group my response from here as well:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-50335-1.htm

It seems that some people, mainly Marsye, Raptureready and Lockeb, are missing the point.

Judging by the recent complaints I've been receiving, I guess some clarification is in order.

This is America
    You are right. And in America, private property rights trump pretty much everything else in all but a very narrow set of circumstances.

This board is private property. It's a business. And just like any other privately-owned establishment, it has a certain tone and atmosphere set from the beginning and maintained (with the help of the moderators) to keep it as a place it was envisioned to be.

Some of your posts/actions disrupt the tone of the board. That's all there is to it.

If you want an analogy, then imagine a sports bar where everyone is yelling and jumping up and down. This behavior would be appropriate for such establishment. Not only that, it would be encouraged. That's what gives the sports bar its appeal.

But if you start yelling and jumping around (and behave similarly to how people behave at a sports bar) in a small romantic restaurant, then you will be approached by a host and asked to either stop it or leave.

And it wouldn't be because you yelled something hateful, political or rude. The mere act of disrupting the atmosphere of the establishment is the problem.

Back to the board. I'm not saying that you are behaving loudly, so don't take the analogy literally. But some of the things you do go against the overall image and "attitude" of the board.

It's one thing to post a picture of a cute puppy, and there is nothing wrong with that.

But posting a picture of some people and ridiculing their physical appearance is totally different. While it might be funny, it goes against the tone set on this board.

The same thing with locked threads. They aren't being locked because of your opinion. They get locked because you (intentionally?) try to push the limits and see if you can get away with it. And when you don't get away with it, you start complaining, instead of trying to realize what's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I don't tell others what they can or can not read.
    I can't tell you what you should and shouldn't read, and you can't tell me what I should and shouldn't host on my site. I don't have any obligation to carry yours or anybody else's posts.

Do you understand that?

This board is not some sort of a state-sponsored bulletin, where every response and letter to the editor must be published or else it's a violation of freedom of speech.

Just like an owner of a restaurant/bar/any other social establishment has the right to pick and influence the general atmosphere of the establishment, I have the right to put a stop to anyone who is disrupting it.

Lastly, when you have a problem with some moderator, you can always PM me and explain the situation. I also welcome suggestions for the general course of the board. I don't always accept all suggestions (nor am I under any obligation to do so), but I always read and consider them.

But when you start creating threads about how you are being policed and about some other "injustice", I see it as nothing more than an attempt to stir up some drama.

And as I outlined above, you are not fighting for your right to free speech and you are not fighting against the oppression of the evil moderators. You are simply disrupting this privately-owned social establishment. That's all you are doing.

I have no complaints and never realized about a lock down. I can barely keep up and don't read everything here. If I did my sewing would really suffer. And I don't sweat the small stuff on any board or group.

Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    I have not locked down any threads. I just monitor them. My job is just to make sure nothing bad is happening on this board or to direct a post to the right section. Nothing more.
    No, most moderators are wonderful. However there is one that seems to be going out of her way to lock down any thread that she decides isn't going her way. More people are pm ing me saying that they agree and are getting very tired of her heavy handedness. I just don't want to mention her name out in the open. I'm not trying to cause her any public humiliation or hurt her in anyway, I just want this "YOU'LL DO WHAT I WANT OR I'LL SHUT YOU DOWN" ego trip to cease. It's beyond childish and extremely petty.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin
    I'm going to group my response from here as well:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-50335-1.htm

It seems that some people, mainly Marsye, Raptureready and Lockeb, are missing the point.

Judging by the recent complaints I've been receiving, I guess some clarification is in order.

This is America
    You are right. And in America, private property rights trump pretty much everything else in all by a very narrow set of circumstances.

This board is private property. It's a business. And just like any other privately-owned establishment, it has a certain tone and atmosphere set from the beginning and maintained (with the help of the moderators) to keep it as a place it was envisioned to be.

Some of your posts/actions disrupt the tone of the board. That's all there is to it.

If you want an analogy, then imagine a sports bar where everyone is yelling and jumping up and down. This behavior would be appropriate for such establishment. Not only that, it would be encouraged. That's what gives the sports bar its appeal.

But if you start yelling and jumping around (and behave similarly to how people behave at a sports bar) in a small romantic restaurant, then you will be approached by a host and asked to either stop it or leave.

And it wouldn't be because you yelled something hateful, political or rude. The mere act of disrupting the atmosphere of the establishment is the problem.

Back to the board. I'm not saying that you are behaving loudly, so don't take the analogy literally. But some of the things you do go against the overall image and "attitude" of the board.

It's one thing to post a picture of a cute puppy, and there is nothing wrong with that.

But posting a picture of some people and ridiculing their physical appearance is totally different. While it might be funny, it goes against the tone set on this board.

The same thing with locked threads. They aren't being locked because of your opinion. They get locked because you (intentionally?) try to push the limits and see if you can get away with it. And when you don't get away with it, you start complaining, instead of trying to realize what's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I don't tell others what they can or can not read.
    I can't tell you what you should and shouldn't read, and you can't tell me what I should and shouldn't host on my site. I don't have any obligation to carry yours or anybody else's posts.

Do you understand that?

This board is not some sort of a state-sponsored bulletin, where every response and letter to the editor must be published or else it's a violation of freedom of speech.

Just like an owner of a restaurant/bar/any other social establishment has the right to pick and influence the general atmosphere of the establishment, I have the right to put a stop to anyone who is disrupting it.

Lastly, when you have a problem with some moderator, you can always PM me and explain the situation. I also welcome suggestions for the general course of the board. I don't always accept all suggestions (nor am I under any obligation to do so), but I always read and consider them.

But when you start creating threads about how you are being policed and about some other "injustice", I see it as nothing more than an attempt to stir up some drama.

And as I outlined above, you are not fighting for your right to free speech and you are not fighting against the oppression of the evil moderators. You are simply disrupting this privately-owned social establishment. That's all you are doing.
    Thank you for your answer. I'm not trying to be rude or inconsiderate and definitely not trying to stir up drama or push the envelope. I have and will continue to try to keep my posts within the guidelines. If I have any questions in the future I will pm you directly. Now, please just go ahead and close this thread. I would do it myself but I don't know how.

I have noticed the same problem with a moderator. She seems to be biased on certain topics. I can usually predict in advance when a thread will be locked based on the topic and the opinions being voiced. I have PM'd this moderator and given my opinion. It doesn't seem to have done any good.

I have seriously thought of leaving the board because of this.

I will say that in defense of the moderator you are talking about even without mentioning a name, that he/she is within his/her rights to do what he /she deems necessary to keep with the standings of the board.
    There are members (new) that have come on the board that have to me, (MY OPINION) have tried to stir up trouble, especially in the chat room. That is one of the main reasons WHY I don't go into chat anymore. I used to enjoy going in there, but it seems that these certain people have decided that they think that THEY run that chat and can do what they please. So, I just don't go in there. I have friends that are a bit upset about it, but nothing I can do. Not going to get into a "pissing contest" over it. (excuse my wording).

Now, if you have a problem with whatever is going on with the board, remember, YOU joined of your own free will. Admin OWNS the board. He is pretty much the one that says what can and cannot be said/done with the board. He picks and chooses who he wants to be moderators and it's HE alone that is the "ALMIGHTY" sayer and doer.
    I hate to be this blunt, but if you don't like it, then you should leave the board.
    THIS IS MY OPINION...
    **I'm sure there will be people who don't like what I have said, but that's just how I feel. It's my opinion and I"ve been on this board since the beginning. Been thru all the changes, good, bad and indifferent. You either accept what Admin and the Moderators do/say or you don't. If you don't, then you have a choice, opt out.**

Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    I will say that in defense of the moderator you are talking about even without mentioning a name, that he/she is within his/her rights to do what he /she deems necessary to keep with the standings of the board.
    There are members (new) that have come on the board that have to me, (MY OPINION) have tried to stir up trouble, especially in the chat room. That is one of the main reasons WHY I don't go into chat anymore. I used to enjoy going in there, but it seems that these certain people have decided that they think that THEY run that chat and can do what they please. So, I just don't go in there. I have friends that are a bit upset about it, but nothing I can do. Not going to get into a "pissing contest" over it. (excuse my wording).

Now, if you have a problem with whatever is going on with the board, remember, YOU joined of your own free will. Admin OWNS the board. He is pretty much the one that says what can and cannot be said/done with the board. He picks and chooses who he wants to be moderators and it's HE alone that is the "ALMIGHTY" sayer and doer.
    I hate to be this blunt, but if you don't like it, then you should leave the board.
    THIS IS MY OPINION...
    **I'm sure there will be people who don't like what I have said, but that's just how I feel. It's my opinion and I"ve been on this board since the beginning. Been thru all the changes, good, bad and indifferent. You either accept what Admin and the Moderators do/say or you don't. If you don't, then you have a choice, opt out.**
    Well put. Thank you. Perhaps it is time to put this to bed and move on to other things.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi

THIS IS MY OPINION...
    I agree also.

To single out "A" mod is so unfair to that person--- you have no clue how many PMs go back and forth . Members who are themselves upset about some of the postings, but the "Moderator or Admin" are the only ones who can act on it. In fact it is the responsibility of all the members to report to Admin or a Moderator anything questionable, so that the board can remain a fun, safe environment.

The moderator in question has no motive other than to keep the board to its original intent. Moderators are not paid, we get nothing in return other than knowing we are maintaining a wonderful board.

Don't beat up one person , when it could have been anyone that reported the questionable threads.

To the moderator in question --- You have my full support
    :thumbup: Thank you for all your help

I agree also.

To single out "A" mod is so unfair to that person--- you have no clue how many PMs go back and forth . Members who are themselves upset about some of the postings, but the "Moderator or Admin" are the only ones who can act on it. In fact it is the responsibility of all the members to report to Admin or a Moderator anything questionable, so that the board can remain a fun, safe environment.

The moderator in question has no motive other than to keep the board to its original intent. Moderators are not paid, we get nothing in return other than knowing we are maintaining a wonderful board.

Don't beat up one person , when it could have been anyone that reported the questionable threads.

To the moderator in question --- You have my full support
    :thumbup: Thank you for all your help
    ditto

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast