Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Advice for Ebay and SewItsForSale Users? >

Advice for Ebay and SewItsForSale Users?

Advice for Ebay and SewItsForSale Users?

Old 06-01-2011, 04:26 AM

Has anyone ever been "scammed" on SewItsForSale? Also, there is something on Ebay that is only 25 miles from me. I would like to go see it before making the purchase. I asked the seller if that was ok, but haven't heard back yet. Is that an unusual request, or taboo for ebay buyers? Thanks. :?:
Old 06-01-2011, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

As far as Ebay goes, that request is not strange but it's up to the seller. I once had someone buy a saw who lived nearby and he picked it up rather than pay for shipping. (I made sure my DH was home)
I don't know the other answer, never heard of it.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:35 AM

I haven't heard of Sewitsforsale. It is not taboo to ask to see an item. Actually it works for the seller too, as long as they have the time to get you in to see. One question, is the shipping seem high? It used to be that on ebay people would put some of their profit into the shipping cost, instead of actual shipping. I have heard that this procedure has been changed, but I haven't read anything on ebay about it. As long as they aren't gouging you on shipping, they shouldn't be irritated if you wanted to see it, and save on shipping.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:41 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by mshollysd
One question, is the shipping seem high? It used to be that on ebay people would put some of their profit into the shipping cost, instead of actual shipping. I have heard that this procedure has been changed, but I haven't read anything on ebay about it. As long as they aren't gouging you on shipping, they shouldn't be irritated if you wanted to see it, and save on shipping.
You always need to look at the combined price (item plus shipping) and decide if that's a number you're willing to pay.

Re:eBay - yes, some lousy sellers used to charge a ridiculously low item price with a ridiculously HIGH shipping price to avoid eBay fees. But because of the complaints by buyers, those fees are now charged on the total (item plus shipping) so a seller wouldn't be getting away with that now.

Bad side of that is the good sellers, who never gouged their buyers, now have to pay a fee on their shipping charge, so it's gotten more expensive for them to sell on eBay.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

I have never heard of sewitsfor sale.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:51 AM

Sewitsforsale is a yahoo group. Check it out. Great site if you can find a local seller. There is someone in Mississippi who is willing to sell me what I want at a good price, but how do I know she'll come through with the goods? I'm not willing to take that chance. Anyone from Mississippi? We could strike up a deal! Ha! :)
Old 06-01-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by mshollysd
I haven't heard of Sewitsforsale. It is not taboo to ask to see an item. Actually it works for the seller too, as long as they have the time to get you in to see. One question, is the shipping seem high? It used to be that on ebay people would put some of their profit into the shipping cost, instead of actual shipping. I have heard that this procedure has been changed, but I haven't read anything on ebay about it. As long as they aren't gouging you on shipping, they shouldn't be irritated if you wanted to see it, and save on shipping.
I ran into this when selling books...the highest shipping fee allowed for books is $4/media shipping....so people who sell books for .99 can't make much after shipping....
Old 06-01-2011, 05:36 AM

I think if you live close enough to someone and want to see something before buying and save the shipping charge that it should definitely be allowed.
I have sold/bought a few things on sewitsforsale and was happy with how the transactions went...most buyers want paypal or money orders. At least with paypal, if there would be a problem, a person could file a claim. Always a good idea, especially with a more costly item to purchase insurance incase the item would be lost or damaged in shipping.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:42 AM

On SewItsForSale, there are some strict rules for selling - such as you can't charge more than 60% of the value of the item so there is an opportunity for some good buys. I have sold some jelly rolls on this site.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

One more tidbit about Ebay:
They now charge the seller a % on the shipping fee so that also deters inflated shipping prices, at least for some folks.