Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Advice for Ebay and SewItsForSale Users? >

Advice for Ebay and SewItsForSale Users?

Advice for Ebay and SewItsForSale Users?

Old 06-02-2011, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

Quilter41- that must have been before they changed the rules. Buyers get 100% of their refund now.
Sorry that happened to you! :(
Old 06-02-2011, 08:14 AM

There is a Featherweight being sold on ebay that is in my hometown...I emailed the lady selling it asking if I could see it before bidding on it...she graciously invited me over to visit with her and to inspect this beautiful machine...because of her kindness I will have no qualms bidding on it...bidding more than if it were sight unseen...she even told me how much she paid for it...she also sent an email to me this morning saying that she's rooting for me to win it!!! Therefore, I should think that ebay sellers would welcome buyers to see the items in order to get higher prices... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Naomi
PS Please keep your fingers crossed for me and think kind thoughts to help me win my Featherweight!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 06-02-2011, 08:53 AM

I buy and sell on both. SewItsForSale is a yahoo group for finding and selling items exclusive to sewing and quilting. I have never been scammed on that site or ebay but I did have someone die before sending my purchased item on ebay. I contacted ebay and they were eventually able to get my money refunded. I try to use PayPal exclusively as they can also intercede to recover your purchase price should there be a problem. Ann in TN
Old 06-02-2011, 09:14 AM

I asked the ebayer that was near me to meet at a local rest so that it was neutral ground. Some are funny about having people at thier home. I'm leary of them attacking me.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:49 AM

I once went to a person that had shop for e-bay selling, and he would take a percentage. Well needless to say it was ok at first then all of a sudden he wouldn't pay you the money for the item sold. One was a guitar that sold for over 400.00, He is no longer on ebay but there are people out there, I also suggested him to a friend he sold some old hankies and some plates for her and she never saw a dime. It is a real shame. Then he went to file bankruptcy so we got a notice, we went to court but it was handled very badly
Everyone was to go pick up there things if they had not sold and he never called any one back to do this, and the courts didn't make him. That is a person you want to run over in the street.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by so-sew
Has anyone ever been "scammed" on SewItsForSale? Also, there is something on Ebay that is only 25 miles from me. I would like to go see it before making the purchase. I asked the seller if that was ok, but haven't heard back yet. Is that an unusual request, or taboo for ebay buyers? Thanks. :?:
I have never heard of anyone wanting to GO SEE IT on ebay...that would freak me out...especially if it was an auction item...the seller only has so many days to make the sale...and they can't possibly entertain LOOKY LOUS every day while trying to sell their stuff.

Ebay has a NEW policy that sellers get charged a FEE that includes the price the buyer pays for shipping the item....it is a HUGE rip off to the seller, and very confusing for the CPA now....so be assured they are NOT trying to rip you off on shipping charges!

AS for the yahoogroups, each group is GOVERNED by its own Owner and ran by their rules...there are scammers everywhere..trust me...I have been selling online for 10 years...no place is safe..not even here! YOU just have to be savvy in knowing what you are buying and how to go about it safely.

Good luck to you!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:40 PM

I've purchased fabrics and threads from Sew-Its-for-sale and never had a problem. Those I've bought from charge the actual shipping costs. I've also sold a few things there with a good outcome.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:09 PM

Just be very careful both going to a strangers home and having a stranger come to your's. I've heard some horror stories about being attacked, etc. Craigs List, as well, especially if they know you are bringing a large sum of money.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:04 PM

I almost got scammed on Ebay about a year ago. Was trying to buy something that was $2800.00. The seller sent me an invoice from "Ebay"
or so I though, and asked me to send the $$ by western union. Well, something made a red flag go up with me, so I contacted Ebay and they told me NEVER to send $$ by Western Union because it was untraceable.
I sent a message back to the "so called seller" stating that I hope he got charged with fraud because I turned him into Ebay. Sometimes women's intuition really does work. :thumbup:
Old 06-02-2011, 05:13 PM

I've never heard of either one of these groups, but I'm going to check them out.