Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Alaska or Bust with fingers crossed and a prayer >

Alaska or Bust with fingers crossed and a prayer

Alaska or Bust with fingers crossed and a prayer

Old 03-11-2013, 07:24 AM

Good for you! You'll love it. I'm south of Anchorage, so take advice on areas of Anchorage to avoid from other posters, but I can tell you that you'll find real gems when looking for quilt stores. Besides Quilted Raven, there's The Quilt Tree (341 E. Benson Blvd.), Quilt Zone (510 W. Tudor Rd., Ste. 2), and Seams Like Home (3901 Old Seward Hwy. #9). After you're done there, head south to the Kenai Peninsula. We have some lovely shops for your shopping pleasure!
Old 03-11-2013, 09:10 AM

i am also moving up there for a job with a Native corporation doing mental health supervision and counseling. i leave in two weeks so i'm further along on the journey. Anchorage is actually quite a little city and has lots of quilt stores., plus the big chain stores, Costco, Walmart and a smaller variety store called Fred Meyers. Fred Meyers is a Northwest grocery/variety chain and is where i got all my groceries the last time i worked in Ak. Prices are higher but choices were same as the local Fred Meyer's stores. I'm taking my FW as carry on luggage and shipping up my Pfaff Quilt 4. I'll be working in the Bush so whatever i can take to alleviate the boredom. No stores for fabric and notions where i'm going. No library either. That one is going to be the hardest. I am told that i'll being going to Anchorage a couple times a year for training's so perhaps if you want to we can meet at some point.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 AM

I live in Kenai, AK. We do have Kenai Fabrics which sells lots of nice fabrics. Anchorage has at least 3 quilt shops--maybe more now. There are quilting clubs and guilds. I didn't quilt when we lived in Anchorage but know they have these. When we lived in Anchorage we lived close to the zoo--the south part of town--the hillside is a good place--I'd stay away from Spendard and Mt. View--those are more of the crime areas. I believe Wasilla has a quilt shop--it has grown alot over the past few years. Palmer has a great little quilt shop.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by SooBDo View Post
Good for you! You'll love it. I'm south of Anchorage, so take advice on areas of Anchorage to avoid from other posters, but I can tell you that you'll find real gems when looking for quilt stores. Besides Quilted Raven, there's The Quilt Tree (341 E. Benson Blvd.), Quilt Zone (510 W. Tudor Rd., Ste. 2), and Seams Like Home (3901 Old Seward Hwy. #9). After you're done there, head south to the Kenai Peninsula. We have some lovely shops for your shopping pleasure!
Seward also has a nice quilt shop. As well as Homer which is south of Kenai--where I live. We have Kenai Fabrics and Robin Nest==both nice quilt shops.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:28 PM

I live in South Anch. 1969 we came to Ak for the summerlived in a tent and decided to stay -we have only lived in Anchorage. but have family in Palmer, Wasilla, Homer, Soldatna, Kenai, etc. I am not part of Q clubs..We have 2 Joann stores & there is one in Wasilla. Lots of great people in Ak..(some not so great) No matter where you live there are some challenges..I do volunteer mentoring at the women's correctional center and the people there come from all over the state..You will either really love Alaska or hate it.. Not an easy place to live..but very beautiful...life I am guessing is what each of us make it! Hope yours is good!
Old 03-11-2013, 03:23 PM

There is Abby's in Sitka. I was there on an Alaskan cruise. It's a great shop.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by kat112000 View Post
Eagle River is a beautiful town not too far from Anchorage. I love it there! There was an absolutely beautiful quilting shop there. I dropped a "little" bit of my money there two years ago!
MY daughtrer and family live in Eagle River and the neighbors have a dog. They rent a 3 bedroom condo. If you want more information, PM me and I will give you their location. Also there is a quilt shop in Eagle River and a Bernina shop with lots of fabric "Seams Like Home" in the city of Anchorage. We have visited twice and thoroughly enjoyed. You can go paragliding off Mount Alyeska, glacier climbing (gentle slope--nothing strenous), white water rafting, biking. It is a beautiful place---wish that it weren't so far from family.