Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Almost 24 inches of snow in PA! >

Almost 24 inches of snow in PA!

Almost 24 inches of snow in PA!

Old 02-08-2010, 02:33 PM

Well, I just got my computor back, (it had a virus) and I live in NE pa. We did not get any snow. No shoveling for us. The younger generation was wishing we would get some but by Wednesday they may get there wish. when I look at all the snow everyone around us is dealing with I am glad we didn't.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Margie
My golden retrievor only has a path in the yard now! We already have 23 inches in yard now :(.
Margie

OMG Margie, I am ROTFLMBO!! When we lived in PA, our house, three stories, was built on a hill where the back of the basement opened out to the yard, which sloped downhill even more. We had a German Shepherd. Dad had shoveled a path from the back door down to the alley, for the dog to use. Which he did, all winter long.

Fast forward to spring. The snow is starting to melt, cause it was above freezing, and we are outside for the first time in a while. There were three of us little monsters with cabin fever. And you know what a big deal it is to get youngsters into snow suits. My brother was about three. Well, he slipped and fell, and rolled the entire length of that path. Through every pile!!!!

Thank the lord we had two large sinks just inside the basement door. Mom held him at arms length, plopped him in a sink, and stripped and washed him right there. We still laugh about it, 50 years later!!!

Thank you for the memory and the laugh! And remember, the snow will eventually go away and you will have lilacs and lily of the valley. In my book, it's a fair price to pay. I miss those most of all!
Old 02-09-2010, 10:51 AM

Well, I notice no Canadians have responded! I am near Toronto Ontario and we have NO snow here. We are expecting 2-3 centimetres (1-1-1/2'') tomorrow. While I haven't had to shovel, I do miss it. It has been very cold though.
I guess you Americans will be in the Igloos now! LOL
Old 02-09-2010, 11:04 AM

[quote=gaigai]
Originally Posted by Margie
My golden retrievor only has a path in the yard now! We already have 23 inches in yard now :(.
Margie

OMG Margie, I am ROTFLMBO!! When we lived in PA, our house, three stories, was built on a hill where the back of the basement opened out to the yard, which sloped downhill even more. We had a German Shepherd. Dad had shoveled a path from the back door down to the alley, for the dog to use. Which he did, all winter long.

Fast forward to spring. The snow is starting to melt, cause it was above freezing, and we are outside for the first time in a while. There were three of us little monsters with cabin fever. And you know what a big deal it is to get youngsters into snow suits. My brother was about three. Well, he slipped and fell, and rolled the entire length of that path. Through every pile!!!!

Thank the lord we had two large sinks just inside the basement door. Mom held him at arms length, plopped him in a sink, and stripped and washed him right there. We still laugh about it, 50 years later!!!

Thank you for the memory and the laugh! And remember, the snow will eventually go away and you will have lilacs and lily of the valley.

gaigai....well, at least you made me smile....Lilacs and lily of the valley are still a steep price to pay for this COOOOOOOOOLLDDD white stuff. Almost nothing has melted(about 23 inches) and we are expecting to be hit hard again today. We are lucky, we were only without power for about six hours,,,,there are other areas where they STILL do NOT have power. Also, we have a wood burning fireplace and gas (looks like old fashioned iron woodburning stove) in downstairs sewing room and we have a gas cooking stove in our basement because the kitchen is electric.

OK...I will try to visualize those flowers in my yard instead of the pile of white stuff(mixed with some brown stuff) lol.

Margie
Old 02-09-2010, 01:27 PM

The snow has started again here. It's been light, and on and off, but at least it's definitely snowflakes and not raindrops.

I replenished supplies at the store, got books and a video from the library, did some chores and am now lunching on chicken noodle soup and burrowing in.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:37 PM

from a nebraskan stand point you guys are trying to catch up with us. we have had 62 inches of snow since december 8th. seems like every two days we get a couple of inches sure is making long and white and makes for a lot of sore muscles from all the scooping.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:52 PM

My brother lives in Omaha and he said the winter has been so bad the roads are falling apart. He's renaming it "Pot Hole City"!!
Old 02-09-2010, 04:11 PM

Nursie- I am in Luzerne County, near the border of Wyoming County. I am at the other end of Rte. 118- at the beginning- or- is the beginning in Hughesville?

Tonight we should get our just reward- they are saying 8 to 14 inches of snow.

I'm ready, have my laptop and some files packed to take home. Set the email on out of office and to call my cell. Stopping at the store- don't need milk or bread so I will find food. Just need tea bags and cappuccino.

I'll unpack the laptop, lay the files on the island counter and then go upstairs to my sewing room. :) My version of working at home.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by dryerlint
from a nebraskan stand point you guys are trying to catch up with us. we have had 62 inches of snow since december 8th. seems like every two days we get a couple of inches sure is making long and white and makes for a lot of sore muscles from all the scooping.
Yeah, most of PA doesn't get much snow. The western part does. I so miss having snow on the ground all the time in the winter!

It's easier to get a few inches at a time. You don't have power outages or major emergencies that way, and your local governments budget for street cleaning and snow removal instead of only budgeting for one snowfall per year. The constant snow also makes it worthwhile to buy snow tires, so you can drive more easily... though I've heard snow tires are obsolete and now it's all-weather tires.

The snow here has stopped. It looks like only an inch stuck. I sure hope we get more later tonight, or I'll feel cheated!
Old 02-11-2010, 06:02 PM

we may only get a few inches at a time but they are sure adding up had bad ice storm just before pa got their blizzard kinda sent it your way sorry sure am getting some sewing done though not as much as wish i could darn naps keep getting in the way