Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Another tv series gone weird? >

Another tv series gone weird?

Another tv series gone weird?

Old 07-20-2016, 06:33 AM

Oh, good! Another PBS British mystery! I will have to look for it! I enjoy most of them.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:00 AM

I have a DVR and love it. I DVR all sorts of things so I always have something I want to watch on my TV in the sewing room. I kind of liked Houdini and Doyle. I hope they bring it back. Not anything stupendous but a good watch. Some of my PBS favs that are currently on are Death in Paradise, Miss Fisher Mysteries and Wallander. I also like the Bones and Rizzoli and Isles shows. I find a lot on TNT that I like and some on regular channels. I've also gotten hooked on Hallmark Movies and Mysteries. They have a lot of good mysteries, current and past.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:43 PM

Rizzoli and isles is ending this season. Bones- her voice has gotten more whiny and nasal as it had gone on. All those sci-fi, witches and dragons are not what I like. Cooking, baking, sewing ( that runway thing), best singer, dancer, reality...no thanks. A good mystery YES! Major crimes, so far is good, but for how long? Most on pbs I watch.....I miss a "good" sitcom...there used to be so many classics.....yes, the summer hallmark mysteries is good, granted they are not recent but entertaining. NatGeo has some good offerings. Maybe this fall will bring some new refreshing changes......can only hope
Old 07-20-2016, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

I like episodes that are (more or less) self-contained. If I wanted a continuing series, I would have started watching the soap operas.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:36 AM

It is the rare tv show or movie that is based on a book that is not changed, especially if the first season is successful. Orange Is The New Black is prime example. The book is small. The author was in prison less than a year - 10 months, I believe. The show just completed its fourth season. I usually stay away from tv shows and movies that are based on books I have read.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
It is the rare tv show or movie that is based on a book that is not changed, especially if the first season is successful. Orange Is The New Black is prime example. The book is small. The author was in prison less than a year - 10 months, I believe. The show just completed its fourth season. I usually stay away from tv shows and movies that are based on books I have read.
me too. I read the book Orange is the new Black and I enjoyed it. I don't want to mess with that by watching the highly fictionalized version.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:58 AM

I loved Houdini and Doyle. It always had a good story and the characters were well played. Hope it will be back!

Last edited by institches33; 07-21-2016 at 04:59 AM. Reason: error
Old 07-21-2016, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Most of the Netflix original series are very good. I get Acorn TV through Roku and it is all BBC tv series. Excellent shows. https://acorn.tv/browse/browseall

Thanks for posting this Onebyone. I loved the Father Ted series and signed up with Acorn for their free 30 day offer.

The series on TV that baffles me the most is Preacher. DH and I look at each other after each episode and say "what the heck was that all about".
Old 07-21-2016, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Started watching ZOO when it started-different plot....and curious because author is usually a mystery writer....first few episodes were interesting....then it became more Steven King-ish....watched the episode the other nite....last time I will waste an hour of my life......oh how I yearn for some really good story lines....
anyone here really liking any series? The Last Ship is my last hope!
Geri, I read ZOO when it came out in 2012 and was really taken by the book (I cheered for the animals ). I looked forward to watching the series. But, as with so many other novel-to-movie/TV projects, it isn't what the story is about and I was very disappointed. I stopped watching last summer after only three episodes. It's definitely not what I expected. (I understand there is a follow up book, but I think I'll pass. I like the ending of the original.)
Old 07-21-2016, 06:48 AM

Isn't it baffling, we pay so much and there is nothing to watch. We have cable because hubby is a sports nut. I turn it on to have background noise when I'm working on something. Beyond Animal Planet and some SyFy shows, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead (still iffy on that one) not much out there.