Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any Doberman owners out there? >

Any Doberman owners out there?

Any Doberman owners out there?

Old 02-14-2011, 06:05 PM

I have become an empty nester Mom this year with all 3 of my kids off to college. We are a family of dog lovers and had 5 dogs while my kids were growing up. We have lost all of them over the last 4 and 1/2 years, one each time we send the kids to school in the fall. Last year for my b-day my husband got me a Basset Hound puppy. The little stinker (literally) doesn't like me - adores my husband & 18 yr. old daughter. They find this amusing, especially since the pup was my gift! So the search is on for a new dog for Mom. I've done a lot of research and decided upon a Doberman Pincher. I want to talk to some other Dobie owners, and I'm sure there are some on here. Send me a shout out!

Thanks, Jackie
JEM65
Old 02-14-2011, 06:15 PM

I was honored to spend my life for 14 years with my female doberman. They are wonderful dogs. She was very intelligent, loving, sensitive..... They are the best.

She was a marshmallow!!! If she heard a loud noise,she'd be see ya you're on your own. On the other hand, when the doorbell rang and she barked, she sounded like she'd kill you.

You can't ask for a better dog. Best wishes concerning any dog you decide to get :D
Old 02-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

To get a dog that was mine....I had to insist that my DH not play with him, feed him, take him out..etc. I finally got a dog he didn't steal!:)
Old 02-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

We don't have any now but I have had several over the years and it is the next dog I will get! They are the smartest dogs I ever trained. I have housebroken dobies in less than a week. They say to look for a knot on the top of the head and that is an indicator that the dog is really smart. I don't know if that is an old wives tail. All of my dobies were great! They are good with kids and very loyal.

I would love to get another one but I have promised not to get another one til my beagle and German Shorthaired pointer are gone.

The puppies are soooo cute!!
Old 02-14-2011, 06:24 PM

[quote=twospoiledhuskies]I was honored to spend my life for 14 years with my female doberman. They are wonderful dogs. She was very intelligent, loving, sensitive..... They are the best.

She was a marshmallow!!! If she heard a loud noise,she'd be see ya you're on your own. On the other hand, when the doorbell rang and she barked, she sounded like she'd kill you.

You can't ask for a better dog. Best wishes concerning any dog you decide to get :D[/quot

Laurie this made me laugh out loud! My Great Dane was the biggest sweetheart too - but if someone came to the door she had such a huge deep bark that people were terrified! The vacuum cleaner would just about give her hives! Big Baby!
Old 02-14-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
To get a dog that was mine....I had to insist that my DH not play with him, feed him, take him out..etc. I finally got a dog he didn't steal!:)
Well I know that won't happen here!! Hubby loves the dogs too much to stay away and he works from home, so he isn't even out of the house for the day. That's how the Basset ended up his - he had his bed and toys in his office with him all day!
Old 02-14-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
We don't have any now but I have had several over the years and it is the next dog I will get! They are the smartest dogs I ever trained. I have housebroken dobies in less than a week. They say to look for a knot on the top of the head and that is an indicator that the dog is really smart. I don't know if that is an old wives tail. All of my dobies were great! They are good with kids and very loyal.

I would love to get another one but I have promised not to get another one til my beagle and German Shorthaired pointer are gone.

Well I am going to take my time to find the right pup for me, the right breeder, the right parents, great genetic/health testing etc. I know I want a female and pretty sure I've decided on black & tan over the red. I really can't wait to get a puppy though!

The puppies are soooo cute!!
Old 02-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Power Poster

We had one dobie my DH taught her to smile. So when salesmen came to the door he would have Shadow sitting beside him and he would tell her to smile and the salesmen never came back! LOL But if she was outside playing and a car drove in the driveway she was the first at the backdoor to get in!! LOL

Duchess was afraid of the neighbor boy's tricycle. It was a bright red with a bell so I don't know if it was the bell that scared her or just that it was something she was not used to. but every time JonJon left it on the sidewalk out front Duchess would low growl and slink away! LOL
Old 02-14-2011, 06:35 PM

We raised Dobermans for years, best watch dog, loving and very gentle with children. No one came in our yard, without letting us know. Our first female that we bought finally died, we got a rockweiler next. Now she was a great big ole bear. Loved to be petted, but also a great watch dog. Neither breeds ever were agressive with us, but don't let strangers try to befriend them, that didn't happen. Good luck with whatever you choose. Now we have a rat terrier, and she definitely is my DH's dog. She will grieve herself to death if anything happens to him. He loves her too.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
We had one dobie my DH taught her to smile. So when salesmen came to the door he would have Shadow sitting beside him and he would tell her to smile and the salesmen never came back! LOL But if she was outside playing and a car drove in the driveway she was the first at the backdoor to get in!! LOL

Duchess was afraid of the neighbor boy's tricycle. It was a bright red with a bell so I don't know if it was the bell that scared her or just that it was something she was not used to. but every time JonJon left it on the sidewalk out front Duchess would low growl and slink away! LOL
Love the smile story! My daughter taught the Basset to wink with one eye on command - it absolutely freaks people out and my daughter just rolls on the floor laughing!