Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any "Smockers" out there??? >

Any "Smockers" out there???

Any "Smockers" out there???

Old 06-17-2013, 05:15 AM

Verynice piece made with the dots. I have done lots of smocking but only a fewpieces using this method. I have a pleating machine and do Englishsmocking. The most fun I've had was making dresses for a niece and alwaysmaking a matching dress for her doll. She has the best collection. I’vemade dresses for the great nieces and lots of other moms and grandmas. Such afun needlework.<o></o>
Old 06-17-2013, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I decided today that I would teach myself how to smock. It's pretty easy using the polka dot fabric and I think my first attempt came out pretty darn good! I will be making a wristlet purse out of these 2 pieces (saw a picture on Pinterest). Anybody else do smocking?? I think I will venture into doing some smocking on other prints but I am assuming I will have to mark the fabric - any words of wisdom?
When I first learned to smock, we learned on gingham. I do it just sparingly. It's been years since I've done any.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:23 AM

Did a bit many years ago on gingham. Some with right side as you have wrong side. Reversed?? Clear as mud, I'm sure!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:30 AM

yes, I do some smocking, but need to practice more (between quilts). One great book is A-Z of Smocking. And you can contact SAGA to find smockers in your area. (Smocking Arts Guild of America. Have fun!
Old 06-17-2013, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I decided today that I would teach myself how to smock. It's pretty easy using the polka dot fabric and I think my first attempt came out pretty darn good! I will be making a wristlet purse out of these 2 pieces (saw a picture on Pinterest). Anybody else do smocking?? I think I will venture into doing some smocking on other prints but I am assuming I will have to mark the fabric - any words of wisdom?
Good job. I smock but I make baby girl bonnets and boy caps. I enjoy it. I thought it would be difficult, but it isn't. Happy smocking!
Old 06-18-2013, 05:12 AM

Awe, it looks sew cute!
Old 06-18-2013, 06:40 AM

I smocked for several years and made many cute outfits for my kids and niece. Now our niece is expecting, so I'll be breaking out the pleater again. I bought a Pullen Pleater and have used it over and over. I have several patterns and magazines from years past. I'll post some pictures for you later. Have fun!
Old 06-18-2013, 06:42 AM

I am a smocker and used to design smocking patterns and design plates. I did English smocking pleating the fabric with a pleater and stitching on the tops of the pleats. Love smocking but don't have anyone to smock for any more!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:03 AM

i did the kind where you have to get the fabric pleated and then you follow a chart to make sailboats and such. i was making the second dress for my daughter when i gave up== i was trying to do a design on dark navy pinwale corduroy. too hard to see where to sew. it was fun till then. now that i'm back to sewing maybe i should start again.( on light fabric) smile
maybe one of you smockers would like to pleat some cotton for me? i would gladly pay you.

Last edited by nancia; 06-18-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:14 AM

I played with it for awhile...the type where you do ducks, sailboats, etc. I kept thinking that while cute, it just didn't really make sense to me....the poor kid was going to spill a popsicle down the front of her dress and everyone was going to yell. I did like the exercise in needlework and I"m with Nancia. I"d pay someone with a pleater to pleat for me but first, I'd have to finish about 15 quilts I have in the works.