Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Any "Smockers" out there???

Blog Entries

Any "Smockers" out there???

I decided today that I would teach myself how to smock. It's pretty easy using the polka dot fabric and I think my first attempt came out pretty darn good! I will be making a wristlet purse out of these 2 pieces (saw a picture on Pinterest). Anybody else do smocking?? I think I will venture into doing some smocking on other prints but I am assuming I will have to mark the fabric - any words of wisdom?
    Attached Images Attached Images

No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

That is really cute !!! I would never have thought of smocking like this. It's good.

Blog Entries
    Cute. Never tried it before. Really simple?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alikat110 View Post
    Cute. Never tried it before. Really simple?
    Yep! Here's the pictorial tutorial that I used http://zakkainspired.blogspot.jp/201...que-tried.html
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link.....
    May need to find some polka dots!
    Last edited by alikat110; 06-16-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I love smocking on little girls clothes. It makes anything look special.

Blog Entries
    Cute, cute, cute. I did it long ago and used gingham. But those polka dots are terrific!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    Cute, cute, cute. I did it long ago and used gingham. But those polka dots are terrific!
    Me too!!!... I did a lot of it using gingham in all different sizes.

Funny enough, I thought about it the other day, and was thinking about doing some again.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries
    I can remember my Mother doing this when I was a child. I had a dress which she smocked but I mainly remember her doing on baby clothes. I can remember her ironing the paper to transfer the dots onto the fabric.

When my eldest was expecting her first I discovered machine smocking when I sewed a stitch onto the wrong side of T shirting fabric I was using to make baby nighties. Haven't done it since.

I've done a fair bit of smocking for my GD . It is a really neat way to make anything look extra special and turns an ordinary gingham dress into a party gown. I've done the gingham and also carefully marked dots at 1/4" intervals to make my own design. Never saw the polka dot method so now I have another 'to do' project before I forget how to do it. Thanks for the tip.

Verynice piece made with the dots. I have done lots of smocking but only a fewpieces using this method. I have a pleating machine and do Englishsmocking. The most fun I've had was making dresses for a niece and alwaysmaking a matching dress for her doll. She has the best collection. I’vemade dresses for the great nieces and lots of other moms and grandmas. Such afun needlework.>>

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I decided today that I would teach myself how to smock. It's pretty easy using the polka dot fabric and I think my first attempt came out pretty darn good! I will be making a wristlet purse out of these 2 pieces (saw a picture on Pinterest). Anybody else do smocking?? I think I will venture into doing some smocking on other prints but I am assuming I will have to mark the fabric - any words of wisdom?
    When I first learned to smock, we learned on gingham. I do it just sparingly. It's been years since I've done any.

Blog Entries
    Did a bit many years ago on gingham. Some with right side as you have wrong side. Reversed?? Clear as mud, I'm sure!

yes, I do some smocking, but need to practice more (between quilts). One great book is A-Z of Smocking. And you can contact SAGA to find smockers in your area. (Smocking Arts Guild of America. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    Good job. I smock but I make baby girl bonnets and boy caps. I enjoy it. I thought it would be difficult, but it isn't. Happy smocking!

Awe, it looks sew cute!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I smocked for several years and made many cute outfits for my kids and niece. Now our niece is expecting, so I'll be breaking out the pleater again. I bought a Pullen Pleater and have used it over and over. I have several patterns and magazines from years past. I'll post some pictures for you later. Have fun!
    Sewing: Cheaper than therapy!

I am a smocker and used to design smocking patterns and design plates. I did English smocking pleating the fabric with a pleater and stitching on the tops of the pleats. Love smocking but don't have anyone to smock for any more!

Blog Entries
    i did the kind where you have to get the fabric pleated and then you follow a chart to make sailboats and such. i was making the second dress for my daughter when i gave up== i was trying to do a design on dark navy pinwale corduroy. too hard to see where to sew. it was fun till then. now that i'm back to sewing maybe i should start again.( on light fabric) smile
    maybe one of you smockers would like to pleat some cotton for me? i would gladly pay you.
    Last edited by nancia; 06-18-2013 at 11:09 AM.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

I played with it for awhile...the type where you do ducks, sailboats, etc. I kept thinking that while cute, it just didn't really make sense to me....the poor kid was going to spill a popsicle down the front of her dress and everyone was going to yell. I did like the exercise in needlework and I"m with Nancia. I"d pay someone with a pleater to pleat for me but first, I'd have to finish about 15 quilts I have in the works.

Blog Entries
    When my girls were small I made most of their clothes and I did a lot of smocking then. Not so much now
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Blog Entries
    Never tried it but will now..I love that! I think I have a "Smocking Foot" on my machine but have never been adventurous enough to try! I am getting more creative in my old age...I think it is due to joining the "Doll Quilt Swap" run by Krystyna....There, it is all her fault!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL