Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any tips for decluttering book and magazine stash???

Get rid of them. If you're like me your style,likes, dislikes, etc. have changed. Also, if I keep paper stuff too long I just start sneezing and get congested trying to look through them. I now go through my magazines every few months and if I really love a pattern I tear those pages out, put them in page protectors, and then into a 3 ring binder. I take the magazines to work to give away. I tell co-workers if they're really interested in the ripped out pages I'll bring those in, too. I also periodically go through the 3 ring binder and cull unwanted items there as well. Feels so much better than being weighed down with all the old magazines collecting dust and taking up needed space.

My theory is "If you don't use it, lose it"
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Power Poster
    It is hard isn't it? The only ones I am saving back issues of are my Quilter's Newsletter magazine. I save newer other ones for about a year. I have a huge bunch of older ones stored that I am going to get rid of myself. Some of them call for (gasp) templates and I don't see myself ever going back there. There are so many newer more exciting free patterns on the net that I have added to myBucket List that I don't have room for older stuff.

Blog Entries
    What a way to go. hehehe I have an idea that works for me. The mags that I don't want to keep but have an article or pattern I do want to keep. I tear it out with all the pages that go with it . Then I put it in a plastic sleeve , label it and put it in my " special things" binder. That way I don't have the storage problem with the parts I don't want to keep. Hope this helps you. I works for me.
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

My LQS has an exchange - bring in the ones you no longer want, pick up ones that someone else no longer needed. Your old magazine may have a pattern someone was looking for and hadn't found!

Look to your Local Quilt Guilds! They will love and cherish your magazines and books. They use them for check out and sell for a nominal fee to their members. It helps to keep their guild going and helps to teach new quilters old and new tricks from your magazines and books! Everybody wins!! You even might get to visit your books and magazines!!!
    Chrystina
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning.., Satan shudders & says ..."Oh no....she's awake"

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChrystinapCreations

Have you considered putting in shelves, along the top of the walls? That would free up your floor space, yet still allow you to keep what you need/want.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    technology is wonderful and a space saver. you can scan any patterns you want to keep and pass the magazines along. save your scanned patterns to disk so you don't take up computer memory space. presto you now have more needed space.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Blog Entries
    The rule is --If you haven't used ii in the last year Donate it. So seeing as how its been 7 yrs since they;ve seen day light I say give them away to inspire some one new to quilting

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast