Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Any tips for decluttering book and magazine stash???

Blog Entries

Any tips for decluttering book and magazine stash???

I'm finally motivated by the thought that I will have room for a machine quilting frame setup *if* I can make enough space in our mechanical room. I have boxes and boxes of books and magazines that I have not looked at since we moved here 7 years ago. (!)

Guess I'm doing okay, but it's hard to stay on task. And, when I start moving books from the "sell or give away" pile back into the "keeper" pile, I get worried about myself. Right now the two stacks are about equal.

I have entire years of vintage quilting magazines that are going to have to go. Not sure if I should go through every magazine, page by page, in case there is something in there I want to keep.

Help!

You could donate them to the local library or send them to me. Not sure where western WI is, but I will be in the vacinity of Great Lakes Naval Station and Chicago for two and a half weeks.

I am wondering if you will ever look through those patterns for an idea. I have toooooo many ideas already and need more time and skills.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Blog Entries
    if you need inspiration, there is so much here on the QB you would never need to spend time going through magazines. I would say to donate them to your library. That way, if someone here suggests a particular magazine, you know you can go there to see 'yours'.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

There are so many patterns available online (free), why would you need to keep all that clutter? That is the way I feel now about cookbooks (although I still have some, lol!!)

I've kept some magazines to look through, but to be honest, most of the older ones don't have rotary cutting patterns, so I'm not likely to ever use them. As far as looking for inspiration, as others have said, there's plenty on the web, and there are always more magazines out there when you feel the need...
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

The only old magazines I keep intact are Quilter's Newsletter because they're more of a history of quilting. The rest I flip thru really quick and if there's something that really catches my eye I use a small cutter and cut it out and toss the rest of the magazine.

You can also offer them on the board for the cost of shipping. The medium flat rate box is about 11.00 bucks and holds a ton of magazines.

Keep them until they dry rot. No, seriously, I had/have the same problem. I kept every magazine because there was "good stuff in them I might need". I gave all my QNL collection to a new quilter (and I had some of the first years) who now quilts rings around me. Others I bundled for yard sale or donation. If your stacks are more than a year old chances are you should let them go. New ideas come out and shove the old ones to the back of our minds making mental clutter.

My husband has the same problem big time. He has to keep every publication. I packed a huge trunk with mags. from the 1950's forward, boxes and boxes and he has a row about three feet high along the wall. Magazines! Just magazines! And travel folders, restaurant info., souvenir booklets, old catalogues......for cars, guns, lanterns, knives, tools, more cars, railroadiana....

Quote Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
    Keep them until they dry rot. No, seriously, I had/have the same problem. I kept every magazine because there was "good stuff in them I might need". I gave all my QNL collection to a new quilter (and I had some of the first years) who now quilts rings around me. Others I bundled for yard sale or donation. If your stacks are more than a year old chances are you should let them go. New ideas come out and shove the old ones to the back of our minds making mental clutter.

My husband has the same problem big time. He has to keep every publication. I packed a huge trunk with mags. from the 1950's forward, boxes and boxes and he has a row about three feet high along the wall. Magazines! Just magazines! And travel folders, restaurant info., souvenir booklets, old catalogues......for cars, guns, lanterns, knives, tools, more cars, railroadiana....
    Some of that stuff would sell well on ebay. I sold an old gun catalog for a neighbor.

What about you will be different in the coming next 7 years than the last 7 years? If you didn't use them in the last 7 years what makes you think you will use them in the next 7 years? If you could trade even up, the magazines for
    a quilting frame, would you keep the magazines and not get the frame? You need to be able to decided what is important to you. Are you a hoarder?

Get rid of them. If you're like me your style,likes, dislikes, etc. have changed. Also, if I keep paper stuff too long I just start sneezing and get congested trying to look through them. I now go through my magazines every few months and if I really love a pattern I tear those pages out, put them in page protectors, and then into a 3 ring binder. I take the magazines to work to give away. I tell co-workers if they're really interested in the ripped out pages I'll bring those in, too. I also periodically go through the 3 ring binder and cull unwanted items there as well. Feels so much better than being weighed down with all the old magazines collecting dust and taking up needed space.

My theory is "If you don't use it, lose it"
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Power Poster
    It is hard isn't it? The only ones I am saving back issues of are my Quilter's Newsletter magazine. I save newer other ones for about a year. I have a huge bunch of older ones stored that I am going to get rid of myself. Some of them call for (gasp) templates and I don't see myself ever going back there. There are so many newer more exciting free patterns on the net that I have added to myBucket List that I don't have room for older stuff.

Blog Entries
    What a way to go. hehehe I have an idea that works for me. The mags that I don't want to keep but have an article or pattern I do want to keep. I tear it out with all the pages that go with it . Then I put it in a plastic sleeve , label it and put it in my " special things" binder. That way I don't have the storage problem with the parts I don't want to keep. Hope this helps you. I works for me.
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

My LQS has an exchange - bring in the ones you no longer want, pick up ones that someone else no longer needed. Your old magazine may have a pattern someone was looking for and hadn't found!

Look to your Local Quilt Guilds! They will love and cherish your magazines and books. They use them for check out and sell for a nominal fee to their members. It helps to keep their guild going and helps to teach new quilters old and new tricks from your magazines and books! Everybody wins!! You even might get to visit your books and magazines!!!
    Chrystina
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning.., Satan shudders & says ..."Oh no....she's awake"

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChrystinapCreations

Have you considered putting in shelves, along the top of the walls? That would free up your floor space, yet still allow you to keep what you need/want.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    technology is wonderful and a space saver. you can scan any patterns you want to keep and pass the magazines along. save your scanned patterns to disk so you don't take up computer memory space. presto you now have more needed space.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Blog Entries
    The rule is --If you haven't used ii in the last year Donate it. So seeing as how its been 7 yrs since they;ve seen day light I say give them away to inspire some one new to quilting

I have finally gotten rid of some of mine. Gave them away to people who wanted them... Then turned around and would find a great deal on ebay and order again. I don't think there is much hope for me.

You could scan the articles you want and keep on a CD, then donate to a quilt group or as I do a church run thrift shop that helps the poor. I tied to donate some embrodiery books to a guild but they no longer had their library, same with a quilt club. I finally told both of them to sell them amongst themselves and use the proceeds to pay for a class for the group, they liked that idea. Get one of those hand held scanners might be easier than the scanner/printer machines. Take care.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, ladies. I never thought of a scanner! Am off to research that option.

My small quilt guild does not have a library or librarian, and they do not have any space that could be used as a library. They are asking for someone to start a library, and I would love to volunteer both my stuff and my services, but there's no way I could cart books and magazines back and forth to guild meetings. No SUV here! (Not to mention my bad back, knees, etc.)

I think ultimately I will try to sell the magazine collections (usually a couple of year's worth in their own special 3-ring binders) as collections, and give away the stack of miscellaneous mags.

alot of people cut out the patterns they want and put them in the plastic page covers and keep them in a binder.
    Then the books that are still good can be sold , donated. For example quilt guilds, senior citizens that are on limited income. In san diego at the quilt club you could put them on a table on the way in and those who wanted to could pick what they wanted.