Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anybody out here self-hosting their quilting blog? We crashed! >

Anybody out here self-hosting their quilting blog? We crashed!

Anybody out here self-hosting their quilting blog? We crashed!

Old 12-25-2011, 06:16 AM

Unhappy Anybody out here self-hosting their quilting blog? We crashed!

Our quilting blog completely crashed last weekend and we have to start all over again Our web-hosting provider is absolutely worthless, and we're looking to change. Any good-bad reviews on them? We're looking at Bluehost right now, hoping they can provide us with the FTP access we need. However, we would be most grateful for info on any other hosts that may work for us. We use Wordpress, which we really like and prefer to stay with them.

Luckily, I've backed up all our posts and was able to re-load them. A few of them need to have pics reloaded, but for the most part we're intact. But right now we're back to the basic site, unable to upgrade to the latest version of WordPress, and want to get back up and running. While we're not one of the more popular blogs, we do so enjoy posting!

I didn't realize how important it was to backup until we crashed. If you've got your own site, make sure you're backing up your files!!!! We've only been up for about a year, but I can't imagine losing all those posts and tutorials. Makes my head spin just thinking about it.... I use MacJournal to back up all our posts.

Thanks in advance for any reviews you can give me!
Old 12-26-2011, 08:20 AM
QKO

We use Wordpress and use Omnis as our hosting company, for both the blogs and our webstore. Very satisfied with them, they're reasonably priced and their support is very good. Full ftp access and basically very few limitations on how advanced you can get with maintaining your own site.

Yes, it's a good idea to take regular backups of your site. :-)
Old 12-26-2011, 08:25 AM

You could also consider Google sites and their blogging tools!
Old 12-26-2011, 08:40 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I've never hosted a forum, so I don't know what's involved with that. But I do have two e-commerce websites. One is hosted at www.GoDaddy.com and the other was there but has been moved to www.hens-teeth.net.

GoDaddy has very cheesy superbowl ads but they have tech support 24x7. For basic issues, that is fine and because they are up all night anyway you don't have to feel guilty calling them at 1 am. They automatically back up all your files every night and I believe you have access to them for 30 days.

Hens-teeth is a small company, and if you crash at 1 am you will feel guilty calling them. They do offer more customized / personal help for technical issues, though. They cost more, but you get what you pay for, and we had some very specific needs for the second site.

For basic stuff, though, I think GoDaddy is fine. And they are inexpensive too.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:03 AM

I use Blogger. It has its little quirks, but no worse than any of the others. They all have advantages and disadvantages. I'veb een using Blogger since 2007.