Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone else have cats who act like dogs? >

Anyone else have cats who act like dogs?

Anyone else have cats who act like dogs?

Old 01-31-2011, 10:08 AM

We have two cats. One is a female dark calico named Ophelia (Ophie or Ophers for short)...classic cat. If you have treats, she'll come up to you and act like you're a god, but any other time she'll come to you on her own terms. Eddie, the male grey tabby, on the other hand seems to act more like a dog. He'll follow Ophelia around like...well, a dog...and he will meow to no end when he can't find her. He seems lost without her. You call him and he'll come right away (not just when I shake the treat bottle). He ALWAYS wants to be petted (Ophelia will run if she doesn't want to be petted). He's now doing this thing whenever someone knocks on my bed room door he'll come running and will cry until you let him in.

Does anyone else have a cat that doesn't really act like a cat, but more like a dog?
Old 01-31-2011, 10:10 AM

You just described Lola and Boots. Boots does fetch too.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:14 AM

By BFF's Elvis even wags his tail...if the door bell rings he answers it....even plays fetch.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:15 AM

No cats here, but I have a dog that acts like a cat, she even puts both feet on my leg while I am standing and kneads me. Makes me miss my cat.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

I have had several cats that were so attached their behavior seemed dog like. Used to have a female that fetched and jumped up into my arms on command. I currently have two "puppy" cats (both boys) that come when called and follow me around the house. One of them always asks to be picked up by getting up on his hind legs and putting front legs up on my thigh just like a small breed dog. He does not extend his claws at all when doing this so he is not marking me like a cat tree. He literally wants to be picked up. Often if I am near the ottoman he will jump up on that and then up on me wanting to be picked up and carried around. The other one will growl like a dog if he hears a strange noise outside.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

Zoey acts like a dog, Her pic is under ZOESTER. she bring her ccat fishing pole to play with her about 10-12 times a day. begs for food and treats and gives paw to get it. greets you at the door. takes showers with us, lays on the floor like a dog does, it;'s weird the way she does it. will sit and talk with you for hours, watches t.v. bring all sorts of toys to play and plays fetch. when she doesn't like her food, she covers it up. she also plays hide and seek, she hides her head, and since she can't see us, she thinks we can;'t see her. we say "Whwere's Zoey" and you see her rump start moving. she jumps out and meows, with a big smile. this goes on for about 1/2 hours at a time
Old 01-31-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie
Zoey acts like a dog, Her pic is under ZOESTER. she bring her ccat fishing pole to play with her about 10-12 times a day. begs for food and treats and gives paw to get it. greets you at the door. takes showers with us, lays on the floor like a dog does, it;'s weird the way she does it. will sit and talk with you for hours, watches t.v. bring all sorts of toys to play and plays fetch. when she doesn't like her food, she covers it up. she also plays hide and seek, she hides her head, and since she can't see us, she thinks we can;'t see her. we say "Whwere's Zoey" and you see her rump start moving. she jumps out and meows, with a big smile. this goes on for about 1/2 hours at a time
Sounds like my Squeaky! If you chastise her, she'll hide her head under a pillow on the sofa, rump up in the air. She thinks we can't see her. Too funny!
Old 01-31-2011, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lynnie
Wow, your Zoey sounds like an awesome cat.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:59 PM

We used to have a cat that came when I whistled. Our dog had no clue what "fetch" meant.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:10 PM
Cyn

I have one that follows me everywhere, fetches toys and will sit on command. He will chase the beagle and chew on bones. Someone threw him out as a tiny kitten with a pink flea collar in the woods next to us. Thankfully we heard him while walking our dogs or he would have been food for some wild animal that night. No one claimed him, we fell in love with him and that's how all 5 of my cats and 2 dogs came to live with us :) He's name is Lloyd after our vet and he is a siamese with white paws. He even sits on the hot tub while I'm in it. Amazing cat :)