Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone watch the Tony awards on Sunday? >

Anyone watch the Tony awards on Sunday?

Anyone watch the Tony awards on Sunday?

Old 06-14-2011, 11:17 AM

They had a blurb about the Book of Mormon sound track on sale during the Tony awards for only $1.99 from Amazon. After it won a few awards I though "hey, can't be that bad if it's getting all these awards" and bought it. Then I heard that it was made by the creators of South Park-oops, should have researched it a little.

Well, you know the expicit warning they put on labels-usually it's just a bad word or 2 but wow, I finally listened to the download today. I want to scrub my brain out now. And I'm not easily offended. At least they labeled the explicit songs also so it's easy to skip them.

So those of you who live under a rock like me, be careful it's not "Joseph and the techincolor coat".
Old 06-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the warning:)
Old 06-14-2011, 11:53 AM

It has an interesting premise, and it could be PG'd I think to something funny, but hey South Park guys, at least they are equal opportunity offenders. Everything is open to being satired.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:59 AM

Unfortunately, it sheds such a poor light on Mormons just by having such bad lyrics.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:00 PM

I have been involved in Community Theater for most of my life and am saddened by many of the plays that get produced now a days.I used to watch the Tony Awards but not anymore.

I'm glad you brought the topic up because when I read about the play it was supposed to be as they said .......mildly poking fun at the Mormon Church, I had no idea that the lyrics would be so raunchy. If it only cost $1.99 then it must be that it wasn't selling well to theater audiences.

I'm against censorship but I find it interesting that there are some subjects that can be made fun of and others that are totally off limits.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:42 PM

I'm so sick and tired of the entertainment industry mind set acting as if all of this garbage is normal and wonderful. I'm glad I can make my own decisions and turn away from their lifestyles. How can anyone possibly think this type of entertainment is "brilliant"? Ive got to think that some are faking their real opinions for the sake of being part of the entertainment crowd. Grrrrrrrr!