Anzac day

Old 04-24-2012, 04:10 PM

Default Anzac day

Today, April 25th, Australia and New Zealand stop to remember those who have given their lives in the arenas of war in the 20th and 21st centuries. We especially remember the gallant soldiers who fought in the lost battle at Gallipoli in WW1. We celebrate that because of all who gave their lives we are free nations. In every city and many towns across Australia and New Zealand today there will be prayer services at dawn and marches through the streets. Services will also be held at Gallipoli, and in several places in France, where Anzac soldiers are buried.
You can read the story of Gallipoli in this song:

http://ericbogle.net/lyrics/lyricspdf/andbandplayedwaltzingm.pdf
Old 04-24-2012, 04:28 PM

Thanks - Have never heard of Gallipoli, or Anzac soldiers.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:54 AM

Thanks for sharing; it really made me cry. The honesty and truth; especially that someday no one will be marching.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:37 AM

Thanks, it is good to get a different view of the same side. I can remember my Dad singing "Walzing Matilda" to the cows as he milked them but never knew the story. He served in WWI.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs B View Post
Today, April 25th, Australia and New Zealand stop to remember those who have given their lives in the arenas of war in the 20th and 21st centuries. We especially remember the gallant soldiers who fought in the lost battle at Gallipoli in WW1. We celebrate that because of all who gave their lives we are free nations. In every city and many towns across Australia and New Zealand today there will be prayer services at dawn and marches through the streets. Services will also be held at Gallipoli, and in several places in France, where Anzac soldiers are buried.
You can read the story of Gallipoli in this song:

http://ericbogle.net/lyrics/lyricspdf/andbandplayedwaltzingm.pdf
ANZEC Day - Veteran's Day-too many died for too little return. I wonder when the pollies and the greed for power will ever be enough to save our sons and daughters from useless wars. I will always remember, as I, too am a vet.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:59 PM

thanks for explaing what ANZEC day is. I was going to look that up after the one site I get mentioned it. sounds like what we call Veteran Day here in the USA. It reminds us that freedom is not free but comes at a hefty price.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:59 PM

ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. Our soldiers fought side by side at Gallipoli and forged the Anzac spirit which is the cornerstone of our nations. Yes it is a reminder that our freedom does not come cheap.
Waltzing Matilda is a famous song here in Australia, it is a bush ballad. You can watch it here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwvazMc5EfE

If you hear Waltzing Matilda you can bet an Aussie is involved!
Old 04-26-2012, 04:11 PM

Thanks for this info, it is new to me as I live in the US. Hope yall have a wonderful celebration and hope we all can keep our freedoms that our soldiers have died for.

delma
Old 04-26-2012, 07:44 PM

I also live in the US, and I'm somewhat amazed that anyone here might not be familiar at least with the song. I have known it and the history you are commemorating at least since my teens, but that was admittedly a long time ago. A version of the song was popularized in this country by a recording in the 1950's or early 60's that was played a lot on the top-40's radio stations. In fact, there was a movie about Gallipolli starring Mel Gibson, but that was in 1981, when some of our members were children or not yet born.

It's good to know that the date is still honored in Australia and NZ. I'm reminded of the famous quote by George Santayana: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
Old 04-27-2012, 04:42 AM

when i was in first grade one of our neighbors used to call me matilda, and he would sing the song and pull me into a waltz. it has always had wonderful memories attached. now, i will add the memory of those who fought to the song as well.
i think we should all take a moment to thank soldiers in all the free countries for their service and their sacrifice. no one country has secured freedom alone. the anzac has stood with the us in many a fight. thank you.

Last edited by nancia; 04-27-2012 at 04:48 AM.