Anzac day

Old 04-27-2012, 06:44 AM

It always surprises me to hear that people are unaware of something like the Anzac soldiers. That shows that education in this country (USA) is not uniform. Maybe, the sounds of the words ("Anzac" "Gallipoli") stuck with me. How fortunate we are to have had and to have the allies we do have.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

My son and I baked Anzac biscuits one year for his class for Remembrance Day here in Canada. I have been lax some years in going to the cenotaph for the service but I made a special point last year on 11/11/11.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:38 PM

Are there biscuits or cookies or crackers called Anzac cookies (or crackers or biscuits)? It seems like I've heard of something like that... maybe they're like K-rations (I guess they're called MRE now, aren't they? Shows you how ancient I am!!!).
Old 04-30-2012, 08:17 PM

We also owe a lot to the Australian "coast watchers" WWII. They saved a lot of lives and spread the warning on many islands.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:22 PM

We in the US owe the Australian soldiers so very much. They were brave and gave their all. We would have been much worse off without them. In fact, they might have saved our behind in the SW Pacific.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:41 PM

For burchquilts, they are Anzac biscuits made with oats,sugar, coconut, butter. flour, bi-carb soda,a little boiling water and golden syrup.
My mother use to tell me that when made properly they were very hard, so lasted a long time. The mothers, sisters and girlfriends of the soldiers made them to send to the soldiers. They were first known as Soldiers Biscuits but after Gallipoli were renamed Anzac biscuits. If you look on "Google" there is more information.
We loved these as kids and still do.

Last edited by katesnanna; 04-30-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-01-2012, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
For burchquilts, they are Anzac biscuits made with oats,sugar, coconut, butter. flour, bi-carb soda,a little boiling water and golden syrup.
My mother use to tell me that when made properly they were very hard, so lasted a long time. The mothers, sisters and girlfriends of the soldiers made them to send to the soldiers. They were first known as Soldiers Biscuits but after Gallipoli were renamed Anzac biscuits. If you look on "Google" there is more information.
I asked my DH (Mr. Military History... LOL!) when he got home from work & he kinda explained them to me. They sound like maybe what we have that are called Ziebec (SP?). I think I'd heard of them because when I was in grade school, a little boy from Perth came & spent a semester with his grandparents (our neighbors) & I think he told me about them.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
OK, here's how dumb I am... & YES I know I could look this up on Google, but...

Wasn't Mel Gibson in a movie about Galopoli? Wow... I can't believe I know so little about Down Under! I had a pen pal from there when I was a kid plus I spent most of a week in HI with a lovely couple from there (it was a company thing & we just kinda fell in together). I feel so dumb! I do know that you have a female PM. And didn't a PM a long time ago walk into the ocean & was never seen again? And I think his son is osmebody I'm familiar with. And then of course there's Hugh Jackman & Peter Allen. Tho lucky you... Mel Gibson really was born here so you don;t have to claim him anymore... LOL! Sorry but he's really turned out to be... icky.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:13 AM

Yes Mel Gibson was in the film Gallipoli. We do have a female PM but maybe not after the next 18 months. Harold Holt disappeared while swimming off the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria, (a southern state) in 1967. He was our 17th PM. Julian McMahon who appears in Nip Tuck is the son of another PM William McMahon who died in 1988, from cancer. He was our 20th PM. His wife Sonia (Julians mother) caused quite a stir in the States (with her dress that was split up the sides) when Nixon was President.
Love Hugh & his wife Debra and consider Peter Allen a genius. Such a shame that we lost him so soon.
Yes Mel was borne in USA but raised here. His father was on a national quiz show once and there was an arrogance about him. It's a shame to see what has happened to Mel. Like a lot of celebs he hasn't handled fame & fortune very well.
Don't think you are dumb. We are used of overseas friends/visitors not knowing much about us. We are a long way from most places. Most of us believe we live in the best place in the world even though things are changing, and not for the better.