Be aware

Old 09-20-2011, 02:27 PM

Just saw on Yahoo there's a new scam going around. People are getting calls from a "police officer" telling them they failed to pay for a traffic ticket and if they don't pay it now they can be put in jail among other things. Well first the calling officer is not really a police officer but when people get these calls they are taken by surprise and scared by the fact of a threat of jail so they pay this phony ticket and in the process give out personal info which is then used by these creeps. It also mentioned some were calls telling them they missed showing up for jury duty and if they didn't pay the fine they would get jail time also. Hopefully people know the real police/courts do not call but send letters. I know most would dismiss these calls but please, as has been stated before this post, be aware, check out claims, and let others know so they can also be aware of these scams. Maybe we can stop a few people from getting hurt if we tell our family and friends. Thank you all
Old 09-20-2011, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the warning!
Old 09-20-2011, 02:36 PM

thanks for the info. wow, these dishonest people, wow. i def should not go on.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:59 PM

I often think that, if these dishonest people would spend just one tenth of their time thinking of honest ways to make a living, the world might be a better place.

It's ironic that right above the quick reply box for this posting there's an ad for "Reverse Phone Lookup". Says "Get Owner & Address Information on any Phone Number."

That sure makes it easier for the scammers, doesn't it?
Old 09-20-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Willa
Just saw on Yahoo there's a new scam going around. People are getting calls from a "police officer" telling them they failed to pay for a traffic ticket and if they don't pay it now they can be put in jail among other things. Well first the calling officer is not really a police officer but when people get these calls they are taken by surprise and scared by the fact of a threat of jail so they pay this phony ticket and in the process give out personal info which is then used by these creeps. It also mentioned some were calls telling them they missed showing up for jury duty and if they didn't pay the fine they would get jail time also. Hopefully people know the real police/courts do not call but send letters. I know most would dismiss these calls but please, as has been stated before this post, be aware, check out claims, and let others know so they can also be aware of these scams. Maybe we can stop a few people from getting hurt if we tell our family and friends. Thank you all
That's where caller ID comes in handy. If I don't recognize the caller I don't answer. If it is important they will leave a message, that I can return at my own discression.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:27 PM

I'm with Grann if I don't recognize the number, or its a 1-800 or 866, or blocked I don't pick up the line. I had us put on a do not call list and I think I get more stupid calls now than before I added us. Although I jumped down one guys throat for calling me at 745AM a few weeks back probably a safe bet he won't call back here again.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:38 PM

What state is this happening in?
Old 09-20-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj
What state is this happening in?
I believe they said it was starting in Texas but that doesn't mean it can't happen elsewhere.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv
I often think that, if these dishonest people would spend just one tenth of their time thinking of honest ways to make a living, the world might be a better place.

It's ironic that right above the quick reply box for this posting there's an ad for "Reverse Phone Lookup". Says "Get Owner & Address Information on any Phone Number."

That sure makes it easier for the scammers, doesn't it?
I think you're right. Lots of these scams are well thought out - if only they could use their smarts for good.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:26 PM

Thank goodness for caller I'd!!!