Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: baggy bedsheets

I have a regular sized, 9" deep queen size mattress. Therefore, the sheets they sell now are baggy and get all stretched out and wrinkled after a night or two on our bed.

Every decent quality queen size sheet I find says "fits up to 17" deep mattresses." Does anyone sell shallow fitted sheets? I have one old percale sheet and it fits well and doesn't get as wrinkled and stretched out.

I have tried the suspender things and they are OK, but they don't keep the whole sheet as taut as I would like. I wonder if I could sew and tailor my sheets and make them fit better?

Yes, you can tailor them to fit!! If you can run a sewing machine, you can refit your sheets!

but how? I'm not sure how to insert the elastic and ensure there's a tight enough pocket...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rushdoggie
    I have a regular sized, 9" deep queen size mattress. Therefore, the sheets they sell now are baggy and get all stretched out and wrinkled after a night or two on our bed.

Every decent quality queen size sheet I find says "fits up to 17" deep mattresses." Does anyone sell shallow fitted sheets? I have one old percale sheet and it fits well and doesn't get as wrinkled and stretched out.

I have tried the suspender things and they are OK, but they don't keep the whole sheet as taut as I would like. I wonder if I could sew and tailor my sheets and make them fit better?
    You could try putting one on the mattress inside out, and pinning it where you want the seams at the corners to be. Take it off carefully, and sew along the pinned lines (might be better to use safety pins).

I took some old 1" wide elastic and sewed it diagonally across the bottom of each corner of a fitted sheet that had lost its elastic-ness, but was still in very good condition. Like this, but permanently sewed.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...t_Straps/H3278

works really well!

Quote Originally Posted by rushdoggie
    but how? I'm not sure how to insert the elastic and ensure there's a tight enough pocket...
    You can go to the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT8n8M5ITg0
    This gal is really good at explaining how to make a top fitted sheet. Use her ideas. You will need to take apart the sheet you want fitted and remove the elastic. Use that elastic in the project. You will need to cut the sheet down to size after removing the elastic. Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    Here's a youtube video for making fitted sheets out of a flat top sheet.

http://craftingagreenworld.com/2010/...-minutes-flat/

I use the mattress suspenders, but it takes 3 for my queen size to keep the fitted sheet nice & tight.

Unbelievable what you can learn here!

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast