The Benefits of Miso

Old 03-22-2011, 09:10 PM

Fellow classmates from Hawaii shared this with me...thought some on this board might also be interested.

Subject: Fw: RADIATION INFORMATION!
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011

Hmmm... For what it's worth. Miso soup also warms the body and is good for your soul.

Interesting info to share.
Aloha: Many people are concerned about radiation coming our way,
please look at this website on eating a soup that will leach out
metals from your system and there is a reference to medical staff that
took care of atom bomb victims in the second world war, but did not
suffer from radiation side effects in the article!

http://www.mitoku.com/products/miso/atomic_metals.html
Old 03-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for posting such an interesting article, radiation is such a terrifying, damaging and invisible thing. Debate is now raging about the safety of nuclear energy in light of recent disasters.

Miso is a very healthy choice for most people, however if there is a history of thyroid problems in your family tree, or indeed you have a diagnosed thyroid condition, you may wish to check with your health care professional before embarking on a Miso rich diet. Here is a link to a site which seems to have some sensible advice regarding soy and your thyroid.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/soy/a/soy-thyroid.htm
Old 03-22-2011, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
Thanks for posting such an interesting article, radiation is such a terrifying, damaging and invisible thing. Debate is now raging about the safety of nuclear energy in light of recent disasters.

Miso is a very healthy choice for most people, however if there is a history of thyroid problems in your family tree, or indeed you have a diagnosed thyroid condition, you may wish to check with your health care professional before embarking on a Miso rich diet. Here is a link to a site which seems to have some sensible advice regarding soy and your thyroid.

Great article Earthwalker.
Coming from Hawaii and being Japanese on my mother's side, Miso has always been a staple...and as with everything Japanese, in moderation.

If more of us ate as the Asians do we'd be a lot healthier...and of course, I'm probably referring to the older generations.
Hard work and frugal eating hasn't seemed to hurt the older Japanese there it seems. :thumbup:
Old 03-22-2011, 10:54 PM

Momsmurf- small world! My moms Japanese also, grew up on miso. Got a care pkg in dec with miso in it. Nowhere to get Japanese food here! Miss my sushi and okaki's!!!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 11:23 PM

I fully understand where you are coming from! I lived in Illinois for nearly 10 years and it was nowhere to be found! I could get great Polish food or Italian or anything European it seemed, but no Japanese.

At least here in Portland I can find Japanese food and Seattle has a huge market.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:25 PM
Power Poster

Yes, traditional Asian diets, much like traditional Mediterranean diets are very healthy...loads of fish/fresh meats, fresh fruit and vegetables...and the dying art of cooking from scratch!
Old 03-22-2011, 11:44 PM
Power Poster

Thank you for this link I was unaware of it. I take my meds in the morning and only occasionally have soy (miso soup or tofu for breakfast) but it is good information to know.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:46 AM

Thank you so very much for this information about soy and thyroid problems...I read it and followed the link to other foods that we needed to eat in smaller quanities....it is very helpful and I do appreciate your knowledge of this.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:54 AM

I didn't see any reference to miso pulling metals out of the body on the link about miso and thyroid. I'd trust that info over one from a website selling miso products.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:23 AM

I have a Japanese friend who pointed out to me that the Orientals eat Soy FERMENTED most of the time, and also use masses of fresh veggies.
I've known her since 1984, and hate her for always looking exactly the same ever since!!! I've aged over the years (People still recognize me after a long struggle with their memories) but a she refuses to age, still as calm, charming and cheerful as she ever was.

Moderation in everything.