Beware! Another scam!

Old 05-28-2016, 04:28 AM

I am amazed at how many people are dishonest and try to scam people. We got 3 such calls just a couple of weeks ago. One was especially convincing because the caller had no accent, knew our name, knew our grandson's name, had chosen to use the name of an attorney in Reno, NV. He called to say our grandson was in jail on DUI and had been arrested after an accident in which a woman was injured and our grandson had broken nose and facial injuries from the airbag. He put someone on the phone who sounded injured and was too embarrassed to tell his father (our son). Please send $1800 by Western Union and told us how to word it to keep it off the public record. It was convincing! However, we called our son because we would never go behind the back on one of our children as they parent their children. We also noticed that the phone number we were given was from NY. Our son looked up the 'attorney'. Of course this was on Saturday. So he called our grandson's cell phone and he answered. Grandson, when asked what he was doing said he was at work. Our son went there and they called us. They long and short of it was that our grandson was pleased by all the concern-loving family. We would never bail out someone for bad behavior. But, it was convincing to start with because of all the personal knowledge. I might add that it was scary because of that very factor. Sad.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

It still shocks me the people that fall for scams. I remember my great aunt telling one scammer on her phone, are you stupid or do you think I am? The scammer is betting on you being the stupid one. Keep that in mind for anyone that asks money or money for a favor.

I got the same call about my granddaughter being hurt and needing cash, etc. I listened to part of it and said my grand is sitting here in my kitchen with me (she wasn't) Are you stupid or do you think I am? The caller hung up. So many holes in that scam.

Last edited by Onebyone; 05-28-2016 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
I am amazed at how many people are dishonest and try to scam people. We got 3 such calls just a couple of weeks ago. One was especially convincing because the caller had no accent, knew our name, knew our grandson's name, had chosen to use the name of an attorney in Reno, NV. He called to say our grandson was in jail on DUI and had been arrested after an accident in which a woman was injured and our grandson had broken nose and facial injuries from the airbag. He put someone on the phone who sounded injured and was too embarrassed to tell his father (our son). Please send $1800 by Western Union and told us how to word it to keep it off the public record. It was convincing! However, we called our son because we would never go behind the back on one of our children as they parent their children. We also noticed that the phone number we were given was from NY. Our son looked up the 'attorney'. Of course this was on Saturday. So he called our grandson's cell phone and he answered. Grandson, when asked what he was doing said he was at work. Our son went there and they called us. They long and short of it was that our grandson was pleased by all the concern-loving family. We would never bail out someone for bad behavior. But, it was convincing to start with because of all the personal knowledge. I might add that it was scary because of that very factor. Sad.
I had a cousin (70 YO)that this happened to, scared her to death, she was actually in her car, going to the bank to move money around (that she did not have) when the bank clerk asked her why she was so "rushed/upset". Thank goodness she did or my cousin would have been without money she could not afford to throw away. The bank called the police, got her calmed down, made sure her grandchild was OK and filed a report. She said the same thin, her grandchild was on the phone and hurt!! It is why I prefer dogs to people.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:59 AM

I often wonder just how many people still fall for these scams even after seeing the warnings? My elderly neighbor argues with them on the phone about why she doesn't have enough money to send them. I've told her over and over not to answer the phone or not to talk to them at all. Even happened with an ATT salesperson who scammed her into taking a higher priced plan that included Internet - and she doesn't have a computer. I got that straightened out for her and sent a letter to the BBB, too.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing....
Old 05-28-2016, 10:05 AM

My son got one re IRS. Always the skeptic he just had some fun with this one. And belief it or not the scammer hung up on him.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by csknott View Post
My son got one re IRS. Always the skeptic he just had some fun with this one. And belief it or not the scammer hung up on him.
Yes, please remember, the government does not do work over the phone period!! ALL initial contacts are by mail only, ever, ever, ever!!
Old 05-29-2016, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

If you need to do business with the IRS over the phone, it will be you initiating the call.
Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Yes, please remember, the government does not do work over the phone period!! ALL initial contacts are by mail only, ever, ever, ever!!
Old 05-29-2016, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
A while back out of curiosity I went through my spam folder and added up the money that was generously offered to me. I think I lost count around 200 million. LOL
OMG! How funny!