Beware! Another scam!

Old 05-29-2016, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by csknott View Post
My son got one re IRS. Always the skeptic he just had some fun with this one. And belief it or not the scammer hung up on him.
I heard someone say that when they got calls from Unknown Caller or an 800 number they answered with "Hello! You're on the air!" and the caller just hung up
Old 05-29-2016, 08:40 AM

If I'm in the mood to play with the scammers, it goes something like this. They tell you to get on your pc, and I say I don't know how. Just turn it on, and I'll do the rest. Where do I turn it on.? Lady, don't you know how to use the pc? What's a pc? Lady, how old are you? You really shouldn't ask a lady how old she is, but I'm 29, at least that's what I feel like. Either I go through all that or I have a whistle by the phone. They don't like that for some reason. LOL
Old 05-29-2016, 06:14 PM

Polly thank you. I received the IRS phone call, it seems to be the scam around here right now. The one where they call you and say you are being fined and will be jailed today if you do not pay a fine, by credit card now. So with my (as I told the man who called)slow understanding I repeated what he told me about jail time.This is how I intrepid what I heard. '' You are telling a Mother of 2 who works 2 sometimes 3 jobs till 1 and 2 o'clock in the morning, if I do pay this fine you are going to give me a paid vacation,3 meals a day, with no dirty dishes; I can take a bath with no laundry. Lay around all day, do nothing. sign me up!! I was told no, no, no. Lady, I said JAIL.I told the man on the phone, I'm sorry all I heard was VACATION.'' Let me tell you this man hung up so fast and has not called back. You can tell I do not like scams or people who tries to cheat others . I have learned sometimes on the phone if I mess with them they do not call me back. But you are right on the internet one should never even open the e-mail.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:17 PM

I got the call that said there was a warrant out for me for not showing up for jury duty. For $300 they would take care of it and make sure I did not get arrested. What made it funny was at the time I was actually on jury duty and I showed up every day i was suppose to. I don't answer 800 calls or out of state calls without a name in the caller id. Most of those calls end before the answering machine picks up.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:43 PM

I may be on the 'scam suckers list' as so many calls have come from the "technical dept" regarding my computer, usually two or three days in a row. . Then the IRS calls three times in two days and as early as 6:30 AM.
A few days later Publishers Clearing house calls to tell me I have won One Million dollars. I said 'but the winners are always surprised'. 'No, we are telling you'
Then asked me to go to the bank. I said I don't drive. He asked if I had a check book.At that point I hung up.
Has anyone heard if Publishers ever calls to forewarn people of their winnings?
Old 05-30-2016, 07:58 PM

I just came off an airplane today. I sat next to a woman who told me her friend had paid an Uber driver $140 for a ride. He had come up to her at the airport and asked if she needed a ride.

You NEVER pay an Uber driver. The money part is paid by to the driver by the company. Tips are included in the price you pay. Your payment is to the company.
Uber drivers NEVER ask you if you need a ride. You call the company and they send a driver.
And, by the way, if you call for an Uber driver in Chicago, you'd better have your coat on. They come so fast it is unbelievable. The company contacts a driver close to you, and they are there fast.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:14 PM

I'm glad none of our quilters got hurt from these scammers. Your stories are priceless and entertaining.