Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Big treeskirt design needed >

Big treeskirt design needed

Big treeskirt design needed

Old 01-26-2017, 01:57 PM

Have you checked out the ones on Judy Neimeyer's website. She has several large ones. Here is one: http://www.quiltworx.com/patterns/fe...ke-tree-skirt/. They are 60" in size.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:21 AM

I made Jenny Doan (MSQC) tree skirt and I am sure you can adjust it to the size you want. It used one charm pack with several boarders and my daughter loved it!! Check out you tube as an easy way to find it.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:46 AM

How big do you want it? I have a basic skirt that I make most often with that has 18" blades. When I wanted to start making different sizes, rather than just lengthen or shorten these, I took paper that would equal a quarter skirt and played with it. I drew out four blades style and a very large three blade style. I then cut them to use as patterns. I found with the very long blade styles (longer than 24"), a larger blade width looked in better proportion. But, something else to consider is that even though the tree is taller, is it fuller? Many tall trees still have a normal base size and that would influence how long you want the blades. If not sure what they would like, you can make a double skirt. Regular blade length of 18" for the top skirt and a detachable lower solid colored skirt of maybe 24" or 28" (finished size is a 36" with 5" opening and a 48"-56" skirt with a 6" opening).
Old 01-27-2017, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

thanak you everyone for your suggestions.
Thank you, grma33 for the picture. A lot of people suggested the log cabin star, which i might go with.
I know I have time, but this weighing in on me here. I know i HAVE to make this now. Also, the colors
they want are off from what i'm used to do ing for a tree skirt. This will really be custom now, with blue and black.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:34 PM

I just finished one using the 10 degree ruler for my son's family. I'd send you a picture but I don't know how with my cheap telephone. I think it is one of the most beautiful projects I've ever done. Red white and green fabrics in a circle zig zag. It took for ever cut cut, sew, cut sew and finally it is done and pressed. I have just a bit of hand work to do. I am so proud of it! (and me for finishing it!) It will be a great gift next year! Google 10" wedge ruler Christmas tree skirt and see what ideas you can find. I Love mine and I'm going to have a hard time giving it to my son!! hehehe!
Old 01-27-2017, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

Maryellen, it sounds pretty and i'd probably love it too. I don't mind putting in work for this.I will be working with lame though. if you back it with lightweight interfacing, it's a breeze to work with. I'll go see if pintrest has anything on it. thanks.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

i just looked at the 10* ruler tree skirts. WOW! just amazing. I guess they aren't tht hard. just needs to be accurate. I wonder how big the ruler will make it. Gotta look into that, a friend has a ruler thats 10*..also, the tree is wide at the bottom. They have a cathedral ceiling and a huge tree.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
i just looked at the 10* ruler tree skirts. WOW! just amazing. I guess they aren't tht hard. just needs to be accurate. I wonder how big the ruler will make it. Gotta look into that, a friend has a ruler thats 10*..also, the tree is wide at the bottom. They have a cathedral ceiling and a huge tree.
Where did you find it to look at it?