Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendation

Just finished reading "Winter Garden" by Kristin Hannah.
    Excellent reading! Now back to quilting.

If you're going to recommend a book, it would be nice if you could tell is what it's about and why you like it. Thanks.

Here you go... looks really good!

The Whitson family is rocked by the sudden death of patriarch Evan, a warm, loving man who doted on his two adult daughters, Meredith and Nina, and his reserved Russian wife, Anya. Meredith, who runs the family business, and Nina, a photojournalist whose job takes her to war zones around the world, have never been able to connect with their cold, forbidding mother. When Anya begins to act strangely, Meredith thinks she belongs in a nursing home, but Nina decides to try to fulfill her fatherís dying wish and get her mother to tell her and Meredith the elaborate fairy tales she used to share with them. Anya is initially reluctant, but once she begins, Nina realizes these tales are actually the story of Anyaís life in Stalinist Leningrad. Meredith and Nina decide to attempt to uncover the truth about their motherís tragic past in the hope of understanding her, and themselves. Though the novel starts off fairly maudlin, it evolves into a gripping read, although itís a tearjerker. Hannahís previous books, including Firefly Lane (2008) and True Colors (2009), are tailor-made for book clubs, and her audience should find plenty to discuss in this equally enthralling entry. --Kristine Huntley

Blog Entries
    Sounds great, now if I can get it on audio so I can listen and quilt at the same time....

Quote Originally Posted by Lisanne
    If you're going to recommend a book, it would be nice if you could tell is what it's about and why you like it. Thanks.
    Sorry... It's a family story of two daughters who don't have a relationship with their mother. She eventually tells them the story of her life as a young woman in Leningrad during the war and they come to understand her and themselves as well. It's beautifully written, but it will probably make you cry.

I love this author, I will get ahold of it, thanks! :-D

Banned
    When a book is recommended I go to Amazon to read what it's about.
    http://www.amazon.com

Blog Entries
    I love Kristin Hannah's books!

Quote Originally Posted by egagnon291
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisanne
    Sorry... It's a family story of two daughters who don't have a relationship with their mother. She eventually tells them the story of her life as a young woman in Leningrad during the war and they come to understand her and themselves as well. It's beautifully written, but it will probably make you cry.
    Thanks for posting back! It sounds intriguing. I usually avoid sad, depressing books, but I like the sound of this one.

Blog Entries
    I read that book several months ago. A bit lengthy but still a fabulous read since I love anything she writes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast