Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you wash a quilted handbag?

Can you wash a quilted handbag?

Has anyone washed a handmade purse and how did it come out? I was thinking hand wash but maybe on gentle cycle in the washer would work.

Blog Entries
    I would think it depends on what kind of handle you add, if any. But soaking it in a pan by hand would work too.

I used to buy Vera Bradley purses which are quilted. I washed them by turning them inside out and washing on the hand wash cycle. Some had cardboard in the bottom for stability and I took that out.

Quote Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
    I used to buy Vera Bradley purses which are quilted. I washed them by turning them inside out and washing on the hand wash cycle. Some had cardboard in the bottom for stability and I took that out.
    I had not thought about the cardboard bottom, thanks. I'm glad I didn't just throw it in the wash before I asked.

I made a few for me and friends. One friend washed and dried hers like normal laundry. Took out bottom first. No problem with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    I made a few for me and friends. One friend washed and dried hers like normal laundry. Took out bottom first. No problem with them.
    Thanks, I wasn't sure if I would ruin my purse by washing it. Your reply makes me feel better about washing it.

I wash my quilted purses/totes when ever they need it- toss them right in the washer & dryer with everything else...but they are quilted well- just like a quilt- with the same types of battings. I would guess it depends on how it is quilted & what batting is used- I have a quilted wallet I purchased years ago that has been washed a few dozen times too- I've never had any problems with it- but I wash/dry all of my quilts too. to me if I can not wash/dry it It's pretty worthless in my world.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I wash the purses I make, taking out the bottom (if any) before. I usually use a gentle cycle and either hang to dry or dry lightly.

Blog Entries
    I remove the bottoms from the inside and just toss it in the wash. Be sure you don't use bleach.

Blog Entries
    I washed a Vera Bradley bag that did not have a cardboard bottom. I washed it with clothes on the gentle cycle. I did not put it in the dryer. I smoothed it out with my hands, then hung it on a plastic hanger to air dry. It took 2-3 days to dry thoroughly, but it turned out beautifully, just like new, and I had to press nothing. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast