Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Can you wash a quilted handbag?

Can you wash a quilted handbag?

Has anyone washed a handmade purse and how did it come out? I was thinking hand wash but maybe on gentle cycle in the washer would work.

Blog Entries
    I would think it depends on what kind of handle you add, if any. But soaking it in a pan by hand would work too.

I used to buy Vera Bradley purses which are quilted. I washed them by turning them inside out and washing on the hand wash cycle. Some had cardboard in the bottom for stability and I took that out.

Quote Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
    I used to buy Vera Bradley purses which are quilted. I washed them by turning them inside out and washing on the hand wash cycle. Some had cardboard in the bottom for stability and I took that out.
    I had not thought about the cardboard bottom, thanks. I'm glad I didn't just throw it in the wash before I asked.

I made a few for me and friends. One friend washed and dried hers like normal laundry. Took out bottom first. No problem with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    I made a few for me and friends. One friend washed and dried hers like normal laundry. Took out bottom first. No problem with them.
    Thanks, I wasn't sure if I would ruin my purse by washing it. Your reply makes me feel better about washing it.

Blog Entries
    I wash my quilted purses/totes when ever they need it- toss them right in the washer & dryer with everything else...but they are quilted well- just like a quilt- with the same types of battings. I would guess it depends on how it is quilted & what batting is used- I have a quilted wallet I purchased years ago that has been washed a few dozen times too- I've never had any problems with it- but I wash/dry all of my quilts too. to me if I can not wash/dry it It's pretty worthless in my world.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I wash the purses I make, taking out the bottom (if any) before. I usually use a gentle cycle and either hang to dry or dry lightly.

Blog Entries
    I remove the bottoms from the inside and just toss it in the wash. Be sure you don't use bleach.

Blog Entries
    I washed a Vera Bradley bag that did not have a cardboard bottom. I washed it with clothes on the gentle cycle. I did not put it in the dryer. I smoothed it out with my hands, then hung it on a plastic hanger to air dry. It took 2-3 days to dry thoroughly, but it turned out beautifully, just like new, and I had to press nothing. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

Blog Entries
    I wash my handmade purses by putting them inside a pillowcase and tying close to the bag, wash on gentle, smooth out and then hang to dry.
    ~Charlotte~
    This is the day that the Lord hath made, we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Blog Entries
    Goofy question: So, do the ones made with the really stiff interfacing hold up well when washed? Will they still hold their shape? I don't use much interfacing, can you tell? Just wondering before I make one. If not, then I'll go to plan B. Thanks!
    Last edited by coopah; 11-10-2013 at 05:30 AM. Reason: added words
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I just throw my bowtucks bags in with the regular wash and into the dryer. I have had no problems they come out like new and still hold their shape.

Blog Entries
    I wash my quilted bags all the time. If they have a hard removable bottom I take it out. I just washed a Vera Bradley purse and it came out fine. I do mine on the gentle cycle and don't put them in the dryer.

Blog Entries
    I don't see why not. I even wash my Coach bags. I won't use it if its dirty and my daughter uses them a lot and some get dirty easily. I figured since I wouldn't use them if they were dirty what did i have to lose. They come out great and clean. Regular cycle normally in with other clothes or towels.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Just a quick thought- When I started making purses and bags, I wanted something durable for the bottom. I had leftover plastic canvas, so I cut it to fit, covered it with fabric, and put it in, (this has even worked on a purse with an oval bottom). If I have to wash the purse, I just throw it I the washer, and remove the base before putting it in the dryer. (The base is dry by morning.)
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

joy
    I would wash it by hand in warm water... give it a soak for a few minutes first in soapy water...
    joy...

turned it inside out and washed with dark like items-dried in dryer until almost done and then hung it out to finish drying. Worked like a charm and looks good as new.

washing purses

I wash mine all the time. It does make them wear out quicker but they do that anyway with me.

I wash my Vera Bradley purses at the beginning of each season. Two seasons is about as long as they last.
    Karen in Kentucky

Blog Entries
    I have a handmade purse and have washed it twice and it looks good as new. Mine is all cotton , if you are worried, was in cold water and maybe put it inside a panty hose, tied or pillow case so it does not catch with anything else. I put it in dryer but left it slightly damp so it would not wrinkle.
    TxCaRose

Blog Entries
    I have lots of Vera Bradly bags and purses. I wash them in with other laundry. No problem. The care instructions say to remove the bottom insert before washing. I replaced the bottom insert with an acrylic one I had from another style of bag.
    Got fabric?