Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Canning--Summer Bounty

Power Poster
    A friend of mine made great pickles (similar recipe as for dill cucumber pickles) using green tomatoes.

got enough zucchini frozen for the winter, made some into bread and choc. cake and grilled some.

Tomatoes are still coming on. I lost count of how many qts. and pints of sauce I've done. I also did stewed and some with peppers and onions.

Thought about getting some peaches but don't have enough people to eat them. Will get apples for sauce and pie filling.

Have onions still in the ground- their tops haven't died yet.

I love having a garden!

oh- forgot- did pickles too. just 14 pints.

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    :thumbup:

Are your tomatoes in the garden still decent?

Ours are about at the end of the line.
    Yes they are still doing good, but they are coming towards the end. My plants won't be producing any more, but there is still quite a bit that needs to ripen. I have a recipe for green tomato mincemeat that I just love! I am thinking I will pick most of the green ones and make that. I did a few years ago and it is the best mincemeat I have ever had. It called for suet but I left that out--I am glad I did.
    I made fruit mincemeat this morning. Calls for pears, raisins and lemon. But I also added apples and a few cranberries. Sure tastes good! I don't like adding the suet either. I made Green Tomato mincemeat years ago, from a Farm Journal Canning and Freezing book. The Pear Mincemeat recipe is from there also.

Its a lot cooler here in the UK and last summer was very wet so no lovely home grown veggies :cry:

This year it was lovely in the early summer, hot and dry. Just what the tomatoes and zuccini like. The tomatoes in my garden are so high, like a mini forest and we are just beginning to harvest them. Always a risk of loads of green tomato chutney!

I've only had 1 zucchini plant and it went wild. We had so many that I have been giving them away. But I do have a recipe for brownies using them. Dairy, egg and lactose free and I have also made it wheat free for a friend. I will be posting the recipe as soon as I can convert the weights to cups. So keep an eye out for the Zuccini Brownies.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I did not do a garden this year but did get a boat load of figs off the two trees at our rental property and was able to make fig presserves. I use strawberry gel in one batch and they taste just like fresh strawberries. I lvoed reading about everyone's canning, etc. Thanks for sharing.

I canned 8 qts. of tomatoes and 24 pts. of salsa, my dh grew all the peppers(4 kinds),onion,garlic and tomatoes (both yellow and red)that went into my salsa.

A friend of mine makes zucchini pickles, they really taste good! No zucchini taste and diabetic friendly too, she used stevia and Ideal sweeteners.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussymussy
    Its a lot cooler here in the UK and last summer was very wet so no lovely home grown veggies :cry:

This year it was lovely in the early summer, hot and dry. Just what the tomatoes and zuccini like. The tomatoes in my garden are so high, like a mini forest and we are just beginning to harvest them. Always a risk of loads of green tomato chutney!

I've only had 1 zucchini plant and it went wild. We had so many that I have been giving them away. But I do have a recipe for brownies using them. Dairy, egg and lactose free and I have also made it wheat free for a friend. I will be posting the recipe as soon as I can convert the weights to cups. So keep an eye out for the Zuccini Brownies.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbm
    got enough zucchini frozen for the winter, made some into bread and choc. cake and grilled some.

Tomatoes are still coming on. I lost count of how many qts. and pints of sauce I've done. I also did stewed and some with peppers and onions.

Thought about getting some peaches but don't have enough people to eat them. Will get apples for sauce and pie filling.

Have onions still in the ground- their tops haven't died yet.

I love having a garden!
    I do too. Isn't it fun!

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    I did not do a garden this year but did get a boat load of figs off the two trees at our rental property and was able to make fig presserves. I use strawberry gel in one batch and they taste just like fresh strawberries. I lvoed reading about everyone's canning, etc. Thanks for sharing.
    I wish I could come and get some of your fresh figs! I have a recipe for fig bars--so much better than the store bought!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast