Cataract Surgery

Old 03-09-2011, 01:21 PM

Have any of you ever had this done? I'm thinking if you are over 55 some of you may have.

I've been having problems with my eyes for a few months now with it getting worst in the last couple months and more so in the last month. Today I was told by my eye doctor I need cataract surgery to correct my inability to see 20/20 with any prescription anymore so it will be done in the right eye first week of April and wait 3 weeks and the other one will be done.

I've been told it's not a big deal from folks over the years who have had it done. It actually ticks me off that it happens now when I'm having so much fun with my fabrics. LOL I do however want to get it out of the way so I can see better and have alot more fun the rest of the year.

Is the prognosis correct in it taking about 3-4 weeks for full recovery for each eye?

Carol
Old 03-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Banned

I honestly don't know about recovery time but that wouldn't surprise me. My father who is almost 60 is going to get that done in the spring :)
Old 03-09-2011, 01:27 PM

My dad had it done a few years ago and he could see better right away. The healing may take longer but he said everything was much clearer from the start.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:28 PM

My mom saw a huge difference the very next day!!
Old 03-09-2011, 01:51 PM

I just had my left eye done on January 21, it takes about 2 days till your eye returns to normal -- all the dilation and then in about 4 to 6 weeks you will be able to get a REX for new glasses or contacts. During those first few weeks you will be putting 3 drops in your eye on a regular schedule. It is one of the easiest things to recover from I have ever had done. I had my right done 3 years ago so I kinda knew what to expect. It has made a great difference in my eyesight and now I can even drive at night if I need to.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:02 PM

My mother had the surgery a few years ago at 82 and did very well. It must have been an easy surgery/recovery because she never called to tell us it had been done. If it had been anything of an issue, boy, would we have heard.

My DH is facing this next year (62 yrs) and his doctor said that it's nothing to be overly concerned about.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:14 PM

I was legally blind just before I had my cataract surgery in 1999. I was 51. My right eye was seeing within 12 hours of surgery. Three weeks later the left. It took 4 days to see. I am so happy I had the surgery. I now don't need glasses for distance but have to use cheater reading glasses for reading and stitching.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:20 PM

I've recently had it done, I was wearing glasses for 10 years, I don't need them anymore.........and no I didn't need 3 weeks, could see perfectly right away!
Old 03-09-2011, 02:23 PM

I've been told it's not a big deal from folks over the years who have had it done. It actually ticks me off that it happens now when I'm having so much fun with my fabrics. LOL I do however want to get it out of the way so I can see better and have alot more fun the rest of the year.

Is the prognosis correct in it taking about 3-4 weeks for full recovery for each eye?

Carol[/quote]

Carol, I had my right eye done last year, and will have the left done when it is "ripe".
I only had the eye drops in the eye so I couldn't feel anything. I only felt pressure. I had to stare at a spot on the wall so I wouldn't move or blink. No coughing.
They will put you out if you want, but I didn't need it.
I had a lens put in at the same time.
You will be so surprised to see the vivid colors again. Reds are REDDER, and Blues, Yellows are so bright.
It only takes about 3 days to a week of wearing a patch.This is so you won't rub it, or sleep on it until it heals.
The patche I had had little holes in it so I could see through it. I was in the recovery room looking at everything through my patch, seeing better than with my left eye.
Nothing to worry about.
Syl
Old 03-09-2011, 04:55 PM

My best friend had both done 3 weeks ago. Surgery on Friday and she was at next Thursday Bible Study. She doesn't even wear glasses now except for reading.