Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
seeing in 3D and having cataract surgery >

seeing in 3D and having cataract surgery

seeing in 3D and having cataract surgery

Old 02-10-2011, 09:34 AM

Next week, weather permitting, I'm having the lens removed from my left eye and a new one put it to get rid of cararacts. I know that this is a simple procedure but one thing I've noticed with the progression of my cataract is that I now see the strangest things in 3D. I kind of hope that it doesn't go away when I get my eye fixed. I've never been able to see in 3D before and it's pretty cool. Fabrics are much more interesting now. Has anyone else had this happen and did the surgery "correct" it?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:39 AM

I had cataract surgery I was scared out of my mind but it was over in ten minutes I was out of the hospital in three hours it was so easy if you want details pm and I will go thru the entire procedure for you
Old 02-10-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hosta
I had cataract surgery I was scared out of my mind but it was over in ten minutes I was out of the hospital in three hours it was so easy if you want details pm and I will go thru the entire procedure for you
Thank you. I'm not scared about the surgery, I trust my surgeon completely. His father did the first surgery I ever had. I don't get the simple one but rather the full incision one but that's okay.
It's the 3D thing that I'm wondering about. Did you see in 3D before your surgery? What about afterwards?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:45 AM

Justed wanted to wish you well for your surgery.

I have never been able to see in 3D. I have no depth perception but for the most part I don't have any problems.

3D movies are lost on me...just make me nauseous. And those little Viewmasters..same thing...lost on me.

There is an interesting book you might want to read. It is called "The Mind's Eye" by Oliver Sacks. He relays the story of a woman who never saw 3D (steroscopic vision) until her 50's...fascinating. Makes me think I am missing alot.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:49 AM

Those 3D glasses make me nauseous too. I've never been able to see the things in those magic picture things. Sometimes I can see the depth but I've never been able to see the shape. Now, the afghan on the back of my rocker looks like it has 6" waves, fabric looks like it has 1 to 2" depths, even my computer screen right now looks like it has depth. I'm just wondering if that's going to go away and hoping it doesn't. This is such a cool way of seeing things that I'd like to keep it.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

3D? boy you could come up with some great quilt designs!! I wish you great luck with your surgery.
mine aren't bad yet. just hard to drive at night.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:25 AM

I have had cataract surgery on both eyes. I never did see in 3D before or after. I had the corrective lens replacement in both eyes and I don't have to wear glasses anymore. It's been great not having to mess with glasses.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:31 PM

Have I ever seen in 3D? Nope, but those who lived beyond the 1960s did, and the ones who still have 4 brain cells working tell me that it was a wonderful time of a lovely, sinuously slithering world till the cops stopped them from swinging on the bridge by their tie-dyed neck scarves.

Okay, back to reality. I would have that surgery if I needed it, one eye at a time, because I know how advanced medical surgeries are now, and thank God for the magic in these special doctor's fingers. They really do magic, as opposed to our medicine of only 50 and less years ago. Micro surgery is just starting, and I can only watch in wonder as each new discovery is announced.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:07 PM

Good luck with your surgery....hope you have a fast recovery!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Power Poster

Rapture, are you having both eyes done???
My neighbor had the same thing but I think separately, but not too far apart.
Good luck! :D