Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
colonoscopies - agree or disagree and opinions on the prep >

colonoscopies - agree or disagree and opinions on the prep

colonoscopies - agree or disagree and opinions on the prep

Old 06-13-2011, 05:04 PM

I had one last year when had other problems. I avoided it at 50,60 and 70. Now days the dr here has you cut your diet to clear 5 days before and then 64 oz of yellow Gatorade with Miralex the evening before. It isn't bad. I had the double dip (down the throat to the stomach too) and they discovered my arthritis medicine had almost eaten through my stomach so it was in the nick of time. They don't use that ready made prep here anymore. I had no pain or symptoms in my stomach yet it was seriously eroded. Go for it.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:19 PM

I had to have one 6yrs ago as prep for my transplant My Dr says its time for another all I said was "When hell freezes over"the gunk to drink made me so sick I spent 3 days with my head in the commode ended up de-hydrated and spent 4 days in the hospital No test is worth that much pain and sickness :thumbdown:
Old 06-13-2011, 05:33 PM

I agreed to one about 5 or so years ago. I don't believe in every "test" that is suggested, but after talking to nurses and other medical workers, I did go ahead and have it, since every one of my siblings and I have had cancer, everyone with a different site.

God was good and I'm still chugging along at age 77.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:26 PM

I had almost forgot about this topic. It must be a sign or something.........Tomorrow morning I will call and schedule one for myself. I appreciate the comment about a trail of towels to the bathroom! That made me smile. My bed is approximately 6 feet from the bathroom, so I'm thinking I would be okay, unless the URGE come on as spontaneous combustion. :-) Even though there are no problems with the back end of my digestive tract, and this has never been an issue with my family, I think I have finally bit the bullet and will get the damn doctors off my case! I want to post a success story, and not have anyone read an obituary about the woman who needlessly passed away. As sucky as it has been in the past, I can truly say that I live an amazing life.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
I have to disagree and very strongly. My husband has just died from Colon Cancer. This is an extremely slow growing type of cancer. It can be picked up before its too late. The symptoms come very near the end when time is of the essence and sometimes it is just not picked up as its very like IBS. Let me just say many people die from this cancer because they donīt get tested. I know the test ts not pleasant but believe me the alternative is horrendous, take the test please. Colon cancer can take 15 years to develop and starts of with polyps which my or may not become cancerous. Now I will let you all think on that one.

Elle
So sorry for your loss. Yes these tests are embarassing, uncomfortable and the prep is the pits, but they do save lives. My husband had a polyp removed that the doctor said would have probably turned into cancer. He was only in his 40's. He's a healthy 56 now. I've also had the test when I was having some problems. I'm fine also.