Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I know some won't agree but please reconsider

Blog Entries

I know some won't agree but please reconsider

Example: Linda is looking for a LQS to take classes. But because she doesn't have even her state on her profile everyone is trying to find where she's at so they can recommend a shop. Mark wants to purchase a new machine and asks for help. But again WE don't know where he lives. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've looked at a profile to get an idea of where someone is from or sent a PM to several people only to find someone close to me. I understand protecting your information (I'm hardcore about shredding everything that comes in my house with my name on it) but I really think giving your state isn't getting too personal. If you don't agree then I will understand.

Happy and safe holidays to everyone!
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Power Poster
    It took me a while to figure out how to add it to my profile when I first started on QB but I agree it does help. One of these days I am going to get help to add an avatar picture too.

I understand why one would want their privacy, but a little over a year ago, I noticed one of the members' profile stated her city and state. So I PMed her and found that she lives about 8 minutes from me. Woohoo!!
    One step at a time, always forward.

I was very reluctant at first to put that info in my profile. But once I realized that no harm has come to all those who have their location.. and how much I liked seeing where everyone is in the world..I posted mine.

I have made some wonderful friends that I have met thru message boards. A group of us got together last summer - some had never met face to face, but as we sat and chatted, it was like we had known one another for lifetime!! For those who haven't done so, maybe the first step will be listing your state or the general area - Central OH, NE Ohio, SE Ohio...etc...
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

I am so glad that I put my location on my profile. I met some of the nicest ladies and we have a wonderful quilt group that got started here on the quilting board. I wouldn't necessarily put my street address, but town and state are safe enough.
    Marie

I agree!!!!!! My experience has been that this site do not share your info with anyone!! It is very user safe. I have never gotten unwanted emails for anyone thru my info from site. What is the big deal!!!!!!!

I've had my location in my profile since I joined.

I kind of wish we could even search by member location because sometimes I find local 'deals' that I'd like to pm local members. Example, if my LQS is running a one or two day 'special' and I post the info to the group that message can get overlooked if a local member is not always on the message board whereas a pm goes right to the members email notification box so they would 'see' the message when they open up their email program. This could work even if only the state the member lived in was a searchable item.

Funny- I had to go check my profile.
    First had to find a link that I posted in.

Someday I hope to post a picture- Directions on how to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I was very reluctant at first to put that info in my profile. But once I realized that no harm has come to all those who have their location.. and how much I liked seeing where everyone is in the world..I posted mine.
    I agree.those who are looking to harm people usually can find them with out a quilting board to help them.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Blog Entries
    I agree. People can find out more info from you by looking at your junk mail than on here. I have very little going to my house and pay all my bills on secured sites online so that I have little coming to my house. I know that I'm not the only one in my area with my last name so what are chances of finding out exactly where I live. Plus, that's not what this site is about for the most part anyways. I'm sure there have been those who have checked us out for reasons other than quilting but I'm just as sure it didn't take them long to find they'll find nothing here.

Happy holidays to you as well.
    Judy

Everything that a member can read here on the board is public information..try googling your user name and it will come up for all to see..

Blog Entries
    I, too, have met some wonderful people BECAUSE I have my location listed. I have also posted about specials or going out of business hoping to reach some "local" quilters so they could also get in on the good deals.
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

I don't see any problem with posting your city and state. I have met a few "neighbors" and I can't see any problem. I also agree, people with bad intentions don't need a social network to find you if they want.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    I agree with having your profile up to date so folks can help you. I only changed my location during the Secret Santa Swap to keep my partner from guessing it was me who sent her package. Most of the fun is not knowing who got a package from until we open on Dec. 9th. I will change it back once we open on Dec. 9th.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenR View Post

Look in the top right hand corner of the webpage. You should see a black bar with your username and links to Notifications, Profile and Settings. As for posting pictures, just don't try it if you use Chrome as your browser. I had to switch back to Explorer to post my pics to a forum yesterday.

In addition or in place of, I appreciate those in the Introduce Yourself section who introduce themselves with their general location.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Honchey View Post
    Everything that a member can read here on the board is public information..try googling your user name and it will come up for all to see..
    Well now that was interesting! Not that I put personal items on here, but didn't realize how easy it was to read the www on google .....

On another, similar site I changed my real state location to a ficticious one because a nasty person who disagreed with me on something referred to my state in a negative way... like all of us from Mississippi are barefoot, have no education, and marry our cousins. I decided I didn't need the aggravation and maybe it was no one's business where I lived, anyway...

Of course, the people on the Quilting Board are much nicer!
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    I used to be on a forum hosted by a magazine that had a variety of forums, one of which was home and garden. It was amazing the number of people who would ask about plants and not state where they lived or at least the plant zone.

My zone 9 garden has plants that are not going to live, let alone thrive in a Zone 4 garden.

I list my home Province, not my town, but if asked I will say where I am from. Duncan, BC on Vancouver Island.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I don't put my city on my profile because it's a really small community but I do have that I live in Southern CA, which at least narrows it down. I have made friends from this board, and gotten together with them, in TX, WA and CA, all places I spend time in during the year, just by looking for that information on profiles. It's a great way to meet people who share a common interest!

You can search for members by location. Go into the Member List, go to Search Members (it's in blue to the right of the page numbers), you'll see Advanced Search below the box that pops up, click it, then scan down to the box that says Location and type in your location. A bunch of people should pop up.
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenR View Post

Where you reply has a picture that says insert image. take it from there.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=KarenR;5676271]Funny- I had to go check my profile.

Karen: LOL The * My Profile* link is located one inch to the right of where you log in...

I agree that it would be nice if everyone would post their location. It's fun to see where everyone is from. Thank you to those of you that do post your location.
    will quilt 4EVER

Very valid point and I tend to agree. Maybe I feel this way as I live on the outskirts of the Sticks and the middle of Boondocks and have led a very quiet, uninteresting life.

Quote Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
    Example: Linda is looking for a LQS to take classes. But because she doesn't have even her state on her profile everyone is trying to find where she's at so they can recommend a shop. Mark wants to purchase a new machine and asks for help. But again WE don't know where he lives. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've looked at a profile to get an idea of where someone is from or sent a PM to several people only to find someone close to me. I understand protecting your information (I'm hardcore about shredding everything that comes in my house with my name on it) but I really think giving your state isn't getting too personal. If you don't agree then I will understand.

Happy and safe holidays to everyone!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast