Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: I know some won't agree but please reconsider

I agree that it would be fun to know who lives near me. So, I checked my profile and the place I live is correct.
    However, my birth date is wrong--According to it I am am only 2 years old! Much younger than my true 81 years!
    How can I change my birth date in my profile?
    Bebe McGee

I agree there are times when I would love to see where someone is from. I too would like to find others that live close to me.
    I collect Seraphim Angels

As you can see I agree with putting my whereabouts. I have been on this board since 2009 and nothing has happened as a result of me telling my first name or where I live.
    Sandra

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    On another, similar site I changed my real state location to a ficticious one because a nasty person who disagreed with me on something referred to my state in a negative way... like all of us from Mississippi are barefoot, have no education, and marry our cousins. I decided I didn't need the aggravation and maybe it was no one's business where I lived, anyway...

Of course, the people on the Quilting Board are much nicer!
    Here in Texas, we all live on ranches, ride horses, wear cowboy hats & boots, walk with a swagger, and talk with a twang.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

"the only thing another quilter will stalk is your stash!! LOL!!"

Luv it!!!! I agree, agree, agree! But where and what can we do without locking ourselves in closets? You have to be cautious, and alert, but you can still be friendly and outgoing. It is a sad world we are living in and I pray someday, someway it will all change. I also am amazed at the intelligence it takes to do all of this cyber crime and think of what the brain would do if it was geared toward "good".

Anyone from Northwest Tennessee.....would love to find more quilting friends?

T.
    I tried that yesterday, it didn't work. It took me a long time to even post the first picture. I don't know what happened. It looked like it was loading & took a long time, but in the end nothing showed.

Makes sense to me. I just added my location.

lbc
    I appreciate those who are willing to put their location. As others have stated, it's fun when you especially find someone in your own neighborhood.

Thank you for the nudge, just updated mine! Hello from Houston!
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T. View Post
    I tried that yesterday, it didn't work. It took me a long time to even post the first picture. I don't know what happened. It looked like it was loading & took a long time, but in the end nothing showed.
    It could be that the resolution of the photo is too big and needs to be reduced. Your photo editing program will be able to help you 'publish for web.'
    Stephanie in Mena

Blog Entries
    I agree about putting in your location, if only your state. Often a member asks a question that can be so easily answered in person. It's faster to show how to make that curved seam or whatever than to write a book about it.

And, I have met several of people from the board that live in/near my town. Really enhanced my life.
    Stephanie in Mena

This is a great idea. I spend the summers in Tennessee aqnd would love to know people who would like to get together with people who live in the area. I do belong to a guild but they only meet every month so it is hard to get to know people. Since I am only there part time and it is sometimes difficult for me to get out because I have Parkinson disease, I would like to find people who could come over and sew for the day. I have friends in my FL neighborhood who get together about every 2 weeks and sew for the day. Thgroup changes as some can't come but we have a good time.
    JANEM

I noticed there have been several living at the North Pole and was very curious at what was going on. Glad this post has North Pole members that have explained.
    Carol

Speaking of security -- My dh and I are very judicious about shredding, etc. We even belong to Lifelock. However, I shopped at a local Walmart on Tuesday afternoon and on Saturday, one of our credit card companies called to inquire if we had shopped in Farmers, Ohio on Friday. So, my advice is not to use a credit card at Walmart. Apparently their data bases are not very secure or they have people who are passing credit card numbers around.

low profile woman, here. if it's germane to the conversation, i'll offer it up, but i have other internet presences, and anybody who was trying to track me could do it, just one step more easily with this info. there are those of the group who have been stalked, harassed, or have reasons to not let it show. yes, it's a very nice group, here--but sometimes the not so nice drop by, or harbor, quietly. some of us have had bad experiences--not with this great bunch, but in general. if you need to know, i''ll tell you. but to only satisfy curiosity? nope.

so, as has been said, if you don't agree, then i'll understand. but, i remain, anonymously yours...
    "life is a banquet, and most poor fools are out there, starving to death!"--"auntie mame"

I agree it is nice knowing the city & state. Met 2 lovely ladies in Selkirk, NY One of the quilters lives next door to my Son & family. How cool is that!

Lana
    the Quilting Dreamer
    Lansing, MI

Hooray. after reading this I also checked again and figured out how to enter my location. NC
    Now to find how to post a picture. Would love to post picture of my quilts also.
    I am a new quilter though and only have made one stack and wack and 3 rag quilts.
    oh, and 1 Dresden table topper after deciding not to do the turkey from Missouri star--came out great.
    I am learning and have been reading your comments and looking at your quilts for over 1 year!!!
    So thankful for this site and all of you. Maybe I will hear from someone near me???

Living in a very small community I like to let the world out there know that we exist. Also when we had quilt shows here in town it was so wonderful to get to meet some ladies from the board that drove all the way here for our show. Reading the posts and seeing where people are from also puts comments into perspective. Sharing and reading about each others quilting and experiences are what I enjoy most here so it is nice to know where people are from.

Guess I was trying to play it safe, also.

I take precautions in everything I do....but, if someone wants to get your information they can. All they have to do you purchase (for a very small fee) a web search and they get everything. I know this because my friend did this to find her ex-husband. She found him - where he works, lives, phone numbers, who his neigbors are, who lives in the house, where he banks, so on and so....

so listing your state is definetly no big deal...
    Pam H.

"Those that mind, don't matter and those that matter don't mind" ~ Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by SewOK View Post
    Speaking of security -- My dh and I are very judicious about shredding, etc. We even belong to Lifelock. However, I shopped at a local Walmart on Tuesday afternoon and on Saturday, one of our credit card companies called to inquire if we had shopped in Farmers, Ohio on Friday. So, my advice is not to use a credit card at Walmart. Apparently their data bases are not very secure or they have people who are passing credit card numbers around.
    That's probably not true. You can buy a device on the internet that let's you read the credit card information off of a card that a person uses when they pay for something if you are standing next to them. If you get a device that is a bit stronger you can read the information off of all their cards when they are still in their wallets or purses while you are standing next to them.For a bigger investment you can buy a device that will read all the cards in a typical Starbucks cafe. You have to have a shielded wallet to keep your cards from being read. Just having your card on your person makes it liable to be stolen if a thief is close to you with the correct technology in their pocket! Scary isn't it? There has been an expose on TV about this technology.

Blog Entries
    I read this and immediately went to my profile to see what I had - both city and state - would love to meet more quilters here in Aloha. I quilt with a couple of ladies I met through a church group many years ago and there is a group of us who meet monthly at a local quilt shop for show and tell, etc., and from the quilt shop group I quilt on Wednesdays with a large group. I do wish we weren't so slow to share contact information sometimes. If I am out at a garage sale and see something I think one of them might be interested in I can't call because they haven't given me a phone number.

This also made me check my profile, my state is listed but I'm posting to see if it comes up under my name, never thought about it. Also I noticed I'm listed as a junior member, so obviously being listed as a senior member doesn't hav anything to do with age or they would have me as "senior plus" LOL. what determines your member status?
    Maire

I also think it's nice to see where everyone is from. A while back a member posted about a local quilt store closing & I got MANY pieces of new fabric to pet & love. LOL
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Blog Entries
    I was unable to accomplish this by these directions. Could you check again, please and restate the directions. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by lalaland View Post

You can search for members by location. Go into the Member List, go to Search Members (it's in blue to the right of the page numbers), you'll see Advanced Search below the box that pops up, click it, then scan down to the box that says Location and type in your location. A bunch of people should pop up.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast