Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Comfort Dolls - Scraps for Good

Comfort Dolls - Scraps for Good

I had posted a topic called Scraps for Good, which talks to the Sew News project of making Comfort Dolls for battered women's shelters.

Scraps for good

Thought I would share a few of my small ladies before I ship them off to their new owners.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Nice of you to make these for the shelter. Do you not put mouths on them because women hesitate to talk about abuse??

I copied off the pattern and ready to make some dolls. What did you use to make the eyes? I'm thinking of trying a permanent marker. Hand embroidery is tough with arthritic hands and fingers. Am planning to send mine to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation along with the clothes I make for toddlers and stocking cap-bootie sets for babies. Thinking these dolls would serve as toys for the kids too.

Great way to get maximum benefit for your scraps! Dolls are really cute but simple. Thanks for your generosity, inspiration and for sharing.
    The bad news is - time flies.
    The good news is - you're the pilot!

To answer both Joy and Gladygirl - no idea about the lack of mouth - the originator of the pattern did not put one on. I am guessing it won't matter?

I used a permanent marker for the eyes. A Sharpie would probably work fine. Its not so much my fingers but my French Knots are just TERRIBLE! Its the one embroidery stitch I could never master....

Take a look at the blog or Flickr - there are a lot of dolls there and quite a bit of license taken.

Just a little note for anyone who may want to help with the dolls. Including even a small monetary donation to help with the postage is always welcomed, if you can. Having worked with numerous non-profits, postage is always a killer!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Blog Entries
    How awesome, what a great project for such a needdy cause. thank you for sharing
    Mary

saf
    What a great project! I don't know of anything like this here in the UK. Thanks for sharing

UK dolls

Quote Originally Posted by saf View Post
    What a great project! I don't know of anything like this here in the UK. Thanks for sharing
    Hi, Maybe you could get one started! There are battered women everywhere, and I am sure there is a shelter in the UK.
    Kathy Phillips

Awe, so cute, and for such a good cause!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast