Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Costs for Individual Health Insurance Premiums? >

Costs for Individual Health Insurance Premiums?

Costs for Individual Health Insurance Premiums?

Old 08-31-2011, 01:39 PM

Okay, I am many years from being eligible for Medicare. And I have diagnoses that may well disqualify me from being eligible for most insurance plans. What might the premiums (for a good plan, a PPO-type plan so the costs are controlled, but without needing approval every time I need a test) be like for me? Anyone?
Old 08-31-2011, 01:41 PM

move to Vermont, we have a great health care system for lower income people,working or not.
Premiums depend on how much you can afford.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:50 PM

It will depend on the state you live in, your age and your health. It is usually in the range of 300-1000 a month for a large deductible policy. Mine is 600 a month for 3000 deductible and then 100% coverage.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:33 PM

Hubby and I have been looking for almost a year now. We too have a few pre-existing conditions, nothing earth shattering, and we cannot afford health insurance on our own. Hubby would love to retire but we cannot lose our health insurance through his company. I have heard that in 2014 all insurance companies will be required to insure all people regardless of pre-existing or not. Only problem is, there isn't any cap or ceiling as to how much they can charge you per month. A friend of mine is paying $1,000 per month for just her alone on insurance due to a pre-existing condition. Not sure what the answer is. DH is 5 yrs away from Medicare and I am a year and a half behind him. We have a ways to go to retire I am afraid. We could now if it weren't for medical.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:36 PM

Healthy and 59 with a $7,500 deductible it's just over $500 a quarter here.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:50 PM

I'm 53...been working at the same company for the past 23 years. We have a good group plan, but even with that, the plan was I would get to "retire" at 55, and even having to get our own insurance, after all the hard SAVING we've been doing, we would have been good...

Three years ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Thankfully I'm now cancer free, but lets guess where the retirement plan is now ?!? Pretty much ain't happening...
Old 08-31-2011, 03:10 PM

I am self employed and purchase my own insurance.... It is one tough world out there .. sometimes even finding someone who will quote you insurance.
I spend LOTS of hours ... after BCBS who I had a policy for 4 years and NEVER had one claim... decided I was now uninsurable since I changed the name of my company .... it was unbelievable !!!! ( I finally figured it out ... I was now over 50 , and they wanted any excuse to drop me) .
One word of advice never go one minute without or new insurance companies will not even look at you ... as they think you are scrambling for insurance because you have an issue you need insurance for.
I finally found a policy with Etna ... not a great plan but will cover a major need on a 80/20 basis ... I pay the 20 percent.
I suggest you find a group through what ever means you can...AARP .... Some credit unions have a plan.... do alot of homework.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I suggest you find a group through what ever means you can...AARP .... Some credit unions have a plan.... do alot of homework.
Thanks for these ideas, and your other good advice and the sharing of your experience as well. I'm over 50, too, will see what AARP and my credit union has. I have a couple months of COBRA left to do the research.