Craft Ideas for Seniors?

Old 03-21-2011, 06:34 PM

I'm hoping for some help from all you crafters :D

I volunteer at my mother's assisted living facility - there is a real need for someone to coordinate crafts for the ladies...I'm willing, but beyond knitting and quilting - I just haven't done much in the way of crafty projects. It sounds like there is a budget to work with - so would have some $ for supplies. Looking for ideas?
Old 03-21-2011, 06:41 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

tied fleece blankets they could donate to charity or heck, put em on their own beds, cards, lots of examples on ADDICTED TO SCRAPBOOKING,, would they enjoy reading childrens books (record) to be played for their own grandkids or their friends grandkids, potting small plants this time of year. will wrack my brain, I had several scout troops and we visited assisted living several times as a badge project for the girls
Old 03-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Banned

I have to say that where I volunteer, the #1 most requested thing to make is Cards...they are so costly and most of these people can not go out to buy them anyway, so making their own cards is something that brings them great joy!
I buy the photo boxes on sale at Hobby lobby and they use the dividers to separate their occasions. It is soooo much fun!
You can even join your local Freecycle.org group and occasionally post for donations of stickers, stamps, etc and so many will donate for a good cause!
The men folk love to play too!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

I never thought of carsd. Thats a great idea, and something they can really use!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:59 PM

I just posted a great easy craft site
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-107538-1.htm
Old 03-21-2011, 07:11 PM

At one craft show at a senior's center (years ago), they had butterfly pins that were made from greeting cards. There would be 2 cards the same...the butterfly would be cut out of both of them...one would be laid flat and the top one would be folded up a little bit on the wings to give a 3D effect. They would be glued together at the "body" section of the butterfly with a pin on the back of them. They were sprayed with a shiny gloss also. Loved the way they looked and bought several of them for the summer.

Another fun thing was a mini clay pot (about 3") that was decorated for different seasons with starts of different plants. Some seniors have a green thumb and love to share their talents.

Of course Christmas ornaments are always a hit since they can save them for themselves or for gifts too.

Have fun
Old 03-21-2011, 07:26 PM

A senior group a friend of mine used to coordinate also made magnets with stitching (like counted cross stitch) on plastic canvas and gluing a small magnet on the back. The cards sounds like a good idea. The papyrus co. makes beautiful hand-made cards. If you haven't seen them they will use a variety of things including little cutouts of felt.
Also used greeting cards could be used to make small gift cards or tags.
A former coworker's mom used to crochet things such as a shamrock and attach a pin to it.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:38 PM

When my DH was in the nursing home for 3 years, I used to pick up "Reminisce" type magazines and donate them. They were read and passed around, and I could always hear someone saying "I remember that. I used to have one of those. I used to do that". They love to remember their past.

Hats, gloves and fancy handbags and such for dress up tea parties.

One of DH's nieces and her own DH used to come in weekly with another couple and play country music. Another lady who was an excellent musician would come in now and then and play classical music on the piano they had there. Other groups, from children to adults would come in now and then and sing, Anything that broke up the boredom was welcomed.

Donations of baby sized dolls for some of the ones who want something to hold. Soft large teddy bears to hold, men included.
CDs of recent AND old movies, you could check to see if they already have them.

Coloring books...it hit me hard to see my Dh, earnestly coloring in childrens' books, intent on staying in the lines. Crayons too.

Someone to bring in a dog or cat for them to pet. I got permission to take in my cat for DH to pet, and suddenly discovered that he was surrounded by others who wanted to touch the cat. Koko made DH feel good as he laid on DH's chest and purred as others rubbed his back.

Clothes, in good condition. Some of these folks have no kin left at all, and have lost all of their own personal possessions. Soft shoes, thick socks (old feet are usually cold) and clothes that are easy to put on and remove. Some men have grown up wearing those feed store billed caps, and don't feel comfortable without them.

Thank you for taking the time to do something for people most others have forgotten.

If you need something for them that can't be provided by the place itself, why not try some of the service clubs closest to you? Or even FreeCycle?
Old 03-22-2011, 03:22 AM

Don't know if this was mentioned but what abt buying the blank canvas bags at Michaels/Joann's and decorate them with fabric paint or fabric markers...
Old 03-22-2011, 03:35 AM

Michaels crafts has a wonderful web site with lots of ideas.