Dealing with the Heat Wave

Old 06-20-2016, 03:28 AM

Like several others mentioned, the older I get, the less I can take the heat. We've been having some days in the 90's and upper 80's. I keep all the blinds on the south side of the house closed, the air set at 75, and down to 71 at night so I can sleep. Lived in Phoenix a long time ago, and yeah, remember the summer heat..
Old 06-20-2016, 03:58 AM

Couldn't live without A/C, any more than I could live without heat. We set ours at 76 in summer and are perfectly comfortable. We have geothermal so A/C is pretty much free, except for the fan on the furnace. That doesn't mean we don't get a power bill though..........we have a pool pump, lights, dryer, etc. and are on a rural coop. Heat in the winter is propane, so it is set at 70 and we may wear a sweater. Works for us. Everyone has a different tolerance. Our DIL melts at 72; my mom who is 92 freezes at 76.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:28 AM

I live in Florida where the summers are hot and humid. I close the blinds on the south and east side of the house in the morning to keep the sun out. I go for a walk every morning between 6-7 before the sun comes up. This morning it was actually cooler than it has been for a while (upper 70's) but once the sun comes up it doesn't take long to get to the 90's and above.
I'm surprised at how low most of you keep your AC. We keep ours at 80-82 and run ceiling fans on low in the room where we are at the moment. The AC keeps things dry as well as it is cooler than outside so it feels cool to us.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:35 AM

Thought I would add - my husband is a very dedicated golfer and plays in temperatures up to 115 degrees. To do so successfully, we take several steps to prepare starting with freezing half-full water bottles. (I put the top half in the coffee pot reservoir). My husband carries a 5 or 6 of these in an insulated pouch of his golf bag then uses a large thermos (pre-cooled) which holds about 100 ounces of water which he uses to fill the iced water bottles out on the course. He also has a hat and towel made of a special fabric that he soaks in a bucket of water for a couple hours or so before using and these stay cool for several hours. After squeezing them out a bit he puts the hat on his head and towel around his neck. He does get a bit wet from these but I much prefer he be a bit of a mess than have a heat stroke! He also buys additional water as needed out on the course. It doesn't sound like much fun to me but he plays weekly with a group of guys who really look out for each other - anyone not acting quite right its back to the clubhouse in a hurry for all of them.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

it's been in high 80s and low 90s. We have a small house (under 90sf) and a window unit but it does cool the whole house. We have ceiling fans that run all year. The temp is always at 72-73. it will get hotter but the temp inside will be the same. Little guy Brutus does not like being outside even after a haircut which is now on a monthly basis. Husband likes to tinker outside but he does know when to come inside. This weekend was extremely busy showing houses. So I got my sweat on. Ofcourse the properties had no a/c. thank goodness for a/c in the car.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:22 AM

Here in Ft Lauderdale area, we keep AC on 77 in daytime and 74 at nite.....Just got a new AC unit and made a big difference....I hate being too warm at nite and used to put the old unit at 70....bill is a lot lower too...
Old 06-20-2016, 06:47 AM

Don't laugh. I made window quilts for my windows. They are backed with "Warm Window" insulated window system by the warm co. in Washington. It is basically 2 layers of insulbrite sandwiching a piece of aluminum foil fabric, and off white cotton on the back. I add a quilt to it and a sleeve and hang it on a heavy duty spring rod. My heat/ac bills are very low.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:58 AM

Wow Jane, what a great idea. And such a beautiful piece if work on the tree.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

Very hard on the dog! He's a big doggy and needs lots of exercise, but can't stand it outside very long when it's this hot. He can't chase his frisbee either so he is not getting his exercise. We play a little bit in the house. Will be so glad when the heat breaks.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:10 AM

Sounds like Cactus Stitchin is ditto-ing my life in the heat! Originally from Chicago, just changed hybernation months from winter to summer. Lots of time to quilt! I can deal with that! Happy First Full Day of Summer, everyone!