Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dealing with remodel issues >

Dealing with remodel issues

Dealing with remodel issues

Old 05-10-2011, 08:15 AM

Anyone have any stories to tell to make me feel a little better????

We are in the middle of having bath vinyl flooring replaced. The installer came at nearly 11 yesterday and left at 7 without finishing as they didn't order enough vinyl.

The powder room toilet is working but the sink is full of his stuff. Bolts need cut and caps on is all. Job is just OK, I can see a couple spots that barely pass muster.

The guest bath toilet got reset, leaked, got tightened and now has NO water. This is the bath we must shower in and use sink.

Master bath has toilet sitting in the shower, too small piece of vinyl laying there, all his equip (air compressor, tools, trash) in there and scales, towel basket, rugs, etc in our bedroom floor.

Designer just called apologizing and saying the order was expedited and vinyl will be in tomorrow. I told her she would need to do something to make this right with us. She told me that she WAS by expediting shipping. That ain't gonna fly!!!

Seriously thinking of calling CC company to dispute the charge at this point.

GRRRRRR
Old 05-10-2011, 08:21 AM
MTS
Banned

Do you have a canal behind the house to hide the body?
Because, to be honest, I really spent about 6 months seriously contemplating "relocating" my contractor.

Now the only time I think that is every time I walk into my kitchen. :roll:

My sympathies. I totally empathize.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:32 AM

My son is doing your remodeling????

That was my life for 3 weeks...I was running to McDonalds or my Mom's house...for over a week. We wern't going to replace the toilet until my son, in taking it off to do the tile behind the toilet, broke the toilet.

He finally finished when I informed him that he wasn't going to get paid another penny unless I was treated like a customer, not his mother. I was always coming in second to a customer.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

Thank goodness I can't afford to hire contractors :!: :!: I always do my own renovating and I'm not nearly as fast as I used to be. I bought this condo last July and just finished laying the laminate last week. I did hire out the kitchen countertops and they messed that up - had to redo 1/2 of it. Luckily, I know how to put in a temporary countertop. The kitchen cabinets look good because I installed them myself... not bad for a retiree on SS. I still have to remove the wallpaper from 2 rooms - ugh!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:09 AM

I lived in 1/3 of my house for six months while the front was ripped off and redone and an entire back section was added. My youngest son did not learn to walk until he was 13 months old because we had so much furniture crammed in one room he never need to let go!

Misery..........take lots of deep breaths and grit your teeth. Murder -- even of contractors -- is not a good idea!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:17 AM

I can sympathize with you. When painting and things go on at our house its me! So, my kitchen is partly painted on and it's waiting on ME! Not that I don't work at least 40 hours a week, have 5 kids from ages 3-13, a husband and attend church every time the doors are open. Yeah, I feel for you.

Hugs,
Angie
Old 05-10-2011, 09:45 AM

Thanks guys - I'm starting to feel a little better (calmer?).

I have never had someone drop the ball THIS badly. And we took the highest bid as it was the most reputable company in town! I mean how dang hard can it be to lay 3 small areas of vinyl???

I seriously considered tiling them myself but didn't really know how to deal with hardwood transition strips or the pedestal sink in the powder room. I guess I should have figured it out!!!

The owner's better figure out that a pretty deep discount is in order or their good name will quickly turn to mud!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:03 AM

We had a modular home put up - LOVE IT. Our contractor was a real bozo!! We had it set over a basement. We asked that the stairs to the basement be installed right away. They were not installed for THREE WEEKS. During that time we had to crawl in thru the basement window to install the drywall we were putting up on the basement walls. The only reason the stairs were put in when they were is that it was raining outside! Building/remodeling is stressful enough without the contractors jerking you around. Actually, the contractors are usually the ones causing the stress!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:26 AM

I feel your pain, I just had central air & heat put in and at the same time tiled my den. The air and heat was a breeze, they finished before the tile guy. The grout in the tile is the wrong color, the mess he left was horrible, the tile company said it's not their fault the grout is wrong, they just went by the color on the sack. We are still negotiating on the balance of the tile job, he said they would change out the grout, but holy moly the mess again, I don't know what I'm going to do yet.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:29 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by lyndad
I the tile company said it's not their fault the grout is wrong, they just went by the color on the sack.
Right. Of course.
Because it's not like a tile laying company would be aware that grout changes color from the powder in the bag to the installed version.
:roll:

I can't begin to tell you the depth of my hots for Mike Holmes. ;-)