Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Did you know Sears sold buttons?

Picture of yellow Sears buttons, sold 39 cents and card reads Guaranted Washable.

Yellow Sears Buttons
    Name:  Attachment-262824.jpe
Views: 25
Size:  24.4 KB

Must be pretty old to be $.15. Sears used to sell everything at one time. Remember Montgomery Ward? My first sewing machine came from there.

Yes, I worked at Sears in 1970 and they still had a fabric dept. My whole paycheck stayed there sometimes. Of course, I was only part-time, but everything I bought was from Sears. Had my first credit card from them too. Those were the days.....

We use to purchase fabric and all sewing notions at Sears.

Blog Entries
    One of my favorite memories of Sears is their Candy Counter! I don't remember what I used to get but I remember my dad always got Maple Nut Goodies!

I used to buy sewing things from Sears and I remember when Penneys had sewing notions and fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSunshine
    I used to buy sewing things from Sears and I remember when Penneys had sewing notions and fabric.
    And also Montgomery Wards. Almost all department stores had fabric departments. Sure wish they would bring them back. Would love a decent department store again. Seems they are gone by the wayside also.

Sibyl

Blog Entries
    They sold everything the rural family needed. There is a Sears house just down the street from us.
    Sears made his catalog smaller than Montgomery Ward's on purpose. When they were both on the table Sears would be on top.

Blog Entries
    Did anybody have a G C Murphey's? I remember it was a big deal here in Ft Wayne. I would ride the bus with my mother and go downtown and we would shop Murphey's. First time I every rode an escalator! Murphey's had everything; my mother bought her fabric and sewing patterns there. I can remember just touching all the fabrics and wrapping myself up on them!!!

Back in the day , the only stores that had fabric around us , was Sears ( they also sold it through the catalog) JC Penney, Grants , Niesners and a bit at Woolworths.... were you could get a Patty Melt and a couple of yards of fabric ... does it get any better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast