Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Buttons, buttons!!

nls
    I have a large container of buttons collected from mother,
    grandmother and myself. Wondering what I can do with them--any ideas? Am trying to downsize quilting/sewing supplies. Thanks for any suggestions.

Power Poster
    You might want to contact someone from Button Collectors of America? I'm not sure of the name but they collect antique buttons and some of yours might be worth some money. Ordinary buttons do look nice displayed in pretty jars. You can also see if anyone on QB is looking for some. I have a large button box myself that I use. I love buttons, they are miniature works of art!

I'm in the same quandry. Jars and jars of a lifetime of collecting that my dad's girlfriend was gifted with, who regifted them to me. My intent is to make a yo-yo quilt and put a button in the center of each one. Someday...

Oh they would be cute in a glass jar lamp for a sewing room.

Barbara A Love that idea!!!

Banned
    You should list them on ebay. i use buttons for all my purses and the store gets pricey. I searched on ebay and there were lots listed and all had bids.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I am constantly collecting buttons. I make jewelry, pillows and decorate shirts with them! You might say that I have a bit of a button thing :)

Blog Entries
    i made a reversible four patch queen size quilt and put buttons on each side in the center of the four patches.
    also made a large twin size quilt and put buttons in the center of those, flower shaped buttons because the fabric was floral.
    you could make a button Christmas tree quilt to hang for the holidays.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraA
    this is a great idea

Blog Entries
    somewhere i saw a purse covered with buttons also bracelets made of buttons

I would be happy to buy them from you....how many do you have....

Blog Entries
    I would LOVE to have any buttons anyone would like to rehome. I use them as part of the embelishments on some of my quilts. I'll pay the postage just pm me

I have a pattern for a christmas wall quilt of christmas trees, that I was going to use my mothers buttons collection on.....as the little tree ornaments....

Ditto to the others... I am the unknown "patron saint" of allll buttons that need a new home...LOL

I just put them in jars and enjoy them.

I got rid of all my button collections when I moved... just not enough room or time.... sigh.. I miss them...

NOW... that I dont have them and have an official sewing room..... I've been trying to recollect them from Goodwill/Garages sales, etc... I plan to make @ 3 inch strip of fabric..... doubled and quilted for stability and then glue or stitch an all over button design onto it, and put this up around my little sewing room as if it were wallpaper border..

*sigh* it will take me forever to recollect enough.... but a girl can dream!!

I have used buttons on quilts, crocheted button necklaces, made ornaments with buttons, have a lampshade I embellished with buttons, and have many ideas for all the 1000's of buttons I have.

Google button crafts...first item up is button craft images and there are a bunch of ideas!

If you really don't want your buttons, I see there are many people interested in them...just don't throw them away as I have heard people have done with buttons...some can be quite valuable.

Many years ago the National Button Society had a convention in our town. I found out then just how much money people can spend on buttons. It was fun to go to, and see what types of buttons people collect...and put on boards to display.

Hope you find a way to use the buttons in a memorable way.

I saw a pattern that is a jar with buttons sewed on to look like the button jar!

tmw
    alot of the secret pal swaps on here like to get buttons, [including me]. tmw

Blog Entries
    I love buttons, though I don't have but a few. I use to look at my grandmother's sewing things, and thought they were so pretty, and she showed me things that looked like rhinestones. I like telling a story with things that belonged to someone else, and to keep their memory going on. It lets me learn about someone else too. I don't have the money to buy any right now though. But, if someone was just giving them away, I could and would pay postage.

I collect buttons too, I use them as well as mount them in frames to look at. I collect them as I do fabric, and beads!

Blog Entries
    Another collector here....

Blog Entries
    when my daughter was younger, i used to do button crafts with her and her friends such as covering jewelry boxes or picture frames. i have made quilts for my nieces and some family members adorned with buttons. my dgd's quilt is covered in bright buttons and bows.

i use to collect buttons and have many "vintage" buttons. i also bought bulk buttons from a manufacturer that was closing. i now give buttons away in the quilt swaps i do on this board. i downsized a lot so i try not to collect any but went to a coupla of estate sales recently and bought buttons. i will give those away in quilt swaps also.

but i do love buttons. my philosophy is i don't wanna be the one who wins for having a lot of collected stuff after i leave this life. i see that in so many of these estate sales that i go to.... tons of stuff that people have collected, most of it unused being sold to the general public. i am so trying to destash myself.

you can sell your buttons on here or ebay. i will probably eventually package up some of mine for sale.

Blog Entries
    A couple of ideas that have not been mentioned is to glue them on the front edge of an old shelving unit to spiff it up. Also you could make an "I spy" bag for a child using the small buttons instead of beads. This would use up all those plain buttons grandma cut off every shirt that ever hit the pail in a creative and useful way. People will think you are a genius and who couldn't use that kind of praise and admiration. lol

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraA
    I've done THREE lamps like this & love them! A couple of my girlfriends saw them & wanted one of them too!

I also inherited quite a few buttons and use them on accents for wall hangings, Christmas stockings, appliqued flowers, etc......

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast