Digital magazines

Old 04-04-2016, 12:41 PM

Default Digital magazines

When you download a magazine issue (I have an iPad) can the print be "stretchable" or biggie sized?

I'm losing my vision and want to subscribe to Archaeology. What do you think? If you have vision problems are you satisfied with digital magazines?

Thank you for any input you might offer.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

I can enlarge the text, or page on my Kindle Fire and on my laptop.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:01 PM

Ditto same as Onebyone I can enlarge print on my iPad and my kindle app on the iPad and on my Kindle. Have a look and see if this helps. If not you could print the magazine at normal size but sometimes you have a setting to enlarge before printing. If not print size as is then go to a printer and for a few pence ask them to enlarge for you.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:08 AM

I dislike digital magazines and will not purchase them. I know, I am not saving trees and I only subscribe to quilting magazines. No digital for me.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:57 AM

I see that you may be in the area covered by the Timberland Library System in SW WA. I have not used a Kindle, e-reader, etc, but it is my understanding that you can check the device out of the library. Perhaps you could set up a time and place to pose your questions and concerns to the librarian and get advice there. They may even have a digital download of the magazine you are interested in. When I have read reviews of books on Amazon, someone invariably complains about not getting in the kindle version the pictures that would appear in the printed book.
Good luck in your quest. I admire your planning ahead to work out any kinks now.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:06 AM

For most digital magazines, you can enlarge them as much as you want on the touchscreen. However, it depends upon the magazine itself. Maybe you could contact the magazine and explain your situation - they might give you access to an issue just to try it out? Then you'd know for sure what you can and can't do.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:20 PM

all good suggestions. I did contact the magazine, who replied promptly, but I didn't understand the answer

5paws (way cute avatar!) I can no longer read paper magazines comfortably. I never thought I would use an ipad either, but here I am.

I'm going to give it a try, I love that magazine.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:33 AM

By accident one time I 'enlarged' my computer screen. After calling a tech for help cause I didn't know how I did it - If you hold the control key down and press the + button your screen will get larger; to reduce it hold the control key down and press the - key. Like someone said on here earlier you learn something new every day (so it's not a wasted day); just has nothing to do with quilting or sewing but for those of us with eye issues it's great to know.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by sewnclog View Post
By accident one time I 'enlarged' my computer screen. After calling a tech for help cause I didn't know how I did it - If you hold the control key down and press the + button your screen will get larger; to reduce it hold the control key down and press the - key. Like someone said on here earlier you learn something new every day (so it's not a wasted day); just has nothing to do with quilting or sewing but for those of us with eye issues it's great to know.
What did they say? Maybe someone here can help deciper what they said. The tablets are especially wonderful for those who have eye sight problems. My husband who was a little sceptible at first about them loves his kindle now that he has some eye sight problems.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:20 AM

amazingly, I got another note from them this morning with a much clearer answer
I hadn't asked for clarification by the way

I went to their website, clicked on subscribe, chose digital.
Once I'd completed the subscription form (specific to ipad)
I got an email showing my subscription paid w/a link to the app store.
I downloaded what is probably their app, then once it was on my ipad (in the magazines/newspaper ipad app)
it showed a bunch of issues but nothing readable.
I had to click in the upper left corner, got a popup to sign in. same email password I used to subscribe
There it is!
I can stretch the page, or at the top of the page there is a little magnifier icon

I'll check in after I've tried reading it this week on vacation. thanks again for the suggestions and encouragement.

I''m wore out