Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital quilt magazines and Wow!

Blog Entries

Digital quilt magazines and Wow!

I really like the digital subscriptions. The are cheaper and I have access to past issues. Here is the fun part I learned today. I have a Kindle Fire and Amazon has the free program to send pdf files to the Kindle. I clicked on the pages of the quilt patterns I wanted to keep, selected print and then send to Kindle. I now have the patterns in beautiful color on my Kindle to use in my sewing room or anywhere I go. This is so great! I scanned pages from one of my quilt books in pdf and sent the file to my Kindle. I scanned pages from older magazines I had. No more carrying heavy books or tearing out magazine pages. The Kindle takes up hardly any space at all on my sewing table or next to my sewing machine and the pages don't have to be held open. I can make the type big enough to see across the room if I need to. I love my Kindle for quilting.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    well, bellaboo, that certainly is a great reason to buy Kindle!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I will have to try that,although I will need hubby's help. I am not really very good at stuff like that. I do have a notebook laptop in my sewing roon so I can use that to look up patterns, but it would be great to have them in the Fire so you don't have to find wifi if you are not at home

BTW, I just LOVE my Kindle but you have to charge it a lot more often than the E ink readers
    Last edited by katiebear1; 02-14-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    I bought the $79 Kindle just for reading books because it stays charged for weeks. I borrow from the library and that is so much easier then hauling books back and forth and of course all the free books you can find at Amazon is enough to last a lifetime. We are a Kindle family and we do have a Nook we got as a gift. It's just as nice. I love this cartoon: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/explori...l-library.html
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 02-14-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    That's a reason that I love my color Nook for quilting as well.
    Judy

I'm so excited to hear how well it works - will now try it on mine! Just hadn't taken the time...

I have a Kindle Fire. Love it. My question is how do you send a pdf file to your kindle?

I have the Kindle Fire and hadn't thought of trying that. Thanks for the idea.
    Heather

I have a Kindle but not the Fire.

Blog Entries
    ah can see another Kindle in my future, a fire this time. LOL love my Kindle!!
    dare to dream

I was always having to recharge until my son watched me, took my Kindle (he has one too) and did something and no more frequent flier recharging. I discovered that if you go to the Menu where you order books over the Kindle - what a wickedly bad feature - you can turn off Internet access. When you need it turn it back on, and it's been amazing. Now that's it's not connecting to the 'Net all the time, I can read much longer.
    My first post! Whee.

Blog Entries
    I keep the wi fi off until I need it. You can do it from the little gear box on the top right of the Kindle. The send file to Kindle program is here:

http://www.amazon.com/sendtokindle

The Kindle site at Amazon has all the info how to do a lot of things with the Kindle other then just books. The Discussion site is great. Lots of tech expert answering questions about Kindle. Everything from rants to raves. If you have a Kindle why not learn how to use it to it's fullest?
    Got fabric?

How do you use the patterns off the books on the kindle, inquiring minds want to know because my husband has one and has asked if I want one

Thank You for the GREAT Tip!!! I LOVE my kindle and now I will love it more!!!
    Your signature ID: 54489-296-2CF6E9BBE4DB9B078ACCB9FB17BC3416

I inherited my hubby's old non-color Nook when he switched to a tablet. That's how I get all new technology! Think I'll see how this works with the Nook. Thanks!
    http://www.thingsthatarenotperfect.blogspot.com/

Love my kindle. I have 260 books downloaded and they fit in my purse.

I use my iPad for that same purpose. I can save all my pattern PDFs to my computer as well...just transfer them.

Blog Entries
    I use the patterns the same way I'd use them from a book or magazine. And the Kindle or IPad makes a great light box for tracing anything off it's screen. Oh, if you have the Fire. Go to web settings and turn off accelerated page loading. Being off makes the web pages load faster! Another tech tip on the Kindle website.
    Got fabric?

Technology can be awesome, at times! I have a Pandigital tablet and I love doing exactly the same thing. I recently participated in an online quilt-along class and kept my tablet right by the sewing machine.... it was so helpful!

That sounds great!

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh kkkkkkkkkkkkkkk what's the difference from the kindle and the fire???? Might invest in one of these puppies, lol

I just got a Fire for V Day. Love all these tips, please keep them coming as I am a bit out of the tech loop. I did go to the apps store and searched for quilting and only 1 item came up. So you get your pics and info from magazines?

I just got off the Amazon Kindle site and they talk about the Kindle Touch, I don't see Kindle Fire but I'll keep looking lol

Love the tips! I have had a Kindle 2 since they came out and have almost 700 books on it, many of them free or $ 0.99!

I will definitely have to try these tips. And I may go ahead and invest in the Kindle Fire.

And the cartoon was wonderful! I sent it to all my e-book friends!

Blog Entries
    Amazing what technology can come up with. I didn't know you could do all those things with a Kindle. I thought you just read books on them. How great is that?
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook at Leesa's Fabrics

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast