Diverticulitis

Old 04-09-2011, 05:29 AM

Yuck!!!!! Is anybody with me? Any suggestions for food to avoid; I know about nuts & seeds (but zucchini? Really?)
Old 04-09-2011, 05:39 AM

Sorry you have to deal with this...it is a lifestyle change for sure. My sister has the same problem and yes, it is really any fruit or veggie that contains seeds. Some do not bother her at all, as long as the seeds are removed before cooking. Trial and error kind of thing. She stays away from spicey food and that includes not using much ground pepper when cooking. Good luck, just be patient with the process.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:41 AM

What did your colonoscopy show? After I took my flagyl medicaton and had my cololonscopy I cleared up and no more problems. Thank you Lord.
Best wishes.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:53 AM

I have had had this for years and it is a pain to deal with most of the time. I don't take medication any more as I try to keep the medicine intake down as much as possible as Drs are always perscribing medicine and before long you don't have anytime to do anything but remember to take pills.
I avoid lettuce, or any thing leafy . Berries of anykind as the little seeds are BAD! Mostly avoid ruffage of any kind. Beans are bad too and oats and ryebread the list goes on and on Sometimes I eat what I want and just suffer through the consequences. Good Luck I don't worry too much about it anymore as I have pretty well got use to it OH just in case My favorite thing POPCORN is a big NO NO NO!!!
Old 04-09-2011, 05:55 AM

it is life changing and you have to find you own way to avoid irritating the problem so keeping a diary of what you have eaten helps so if you do have a reaction you can look at your diary to see what you have eaten that was different and avoid it for a few days then try it again if you have a reaction again you will know what it was and can avoid it. sometimes it can flare up for no apparent reason. but being careful with your diet is the most important thing, not one person is the same of course nuts and seeds are a problem but seemingly inocent things can iritate it so keeping a diary is the best way even if it is only for 6-12 months. hope you find the best way for you. my DH also has it. so has to be careful too/
Old 04-09-2011, 06:35 AM

Mom has this and she is very limited on some of the food she can eat....has landed in the hospital a few times with bad flare ups.

No Berries- Strawberries are especially bad.
Salads only occacionally.
Tomatoes, cucumbers, pickles, zuccini is OK if no seeds, no Pepper seasoning. If we go out for a burger, no seeds on bun. No Popcorn, no Chex Mix...for some reason the fiber is NOT her friend.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:06 AM

I have had to deal with this for several years until I had surgery to remove the affected area. They removed about 12 inches of my colon. Prior to the surgery, the doctors recommended a diet in high fiber.

Some foods will cause flare ups and some don't. Each person is different. I would check with your doctor and inquire about a high fiber diet or supplements. According to the Mayo Clinic, "Exactly how diverticula become inflamed or infected isn't clear." And Mayo Clinic also commented, "In the past, doctors thought that nuts, seeds, popcorn and corn played a role in causing diverticulitis by getting trapped in the diverticula. However, recent research has found that these foods weren't associated with an increased risk of diverticulitis."

Check out the Mayo Clinic about this disease.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diverticulitis/DS00070
Old 04-09-2011, 03:20 PM

I have had this for 6 years now. Eating a high fiber diet is the best you can do, but the fiber supplements I can't take, they make me very gaseous. Everyone is different. I try to substitute all my bread with high fiber bread/english muffins. I can eat strawberries no problem and coconut bothers me. Ice cream will set me off for some reason. If I have a flare up I have to be very careful for a few months until everything heals up. When I haven't had a flare up in months I can eat a lot of things I normally can't, popcorn, regular corn, peas. I had a doctor say to me once that they really don't know what sets it off, what happens is fecal matter gets caught in the diverticulm and gets infected. What sets off people seems to vary from person to person. Good luck and a high fiber diet is what has helped me the best.