Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Diverticulitis...What Not To Eat? >

Diverticulitis...What Not To Eat?

Diverticulitis...What Not To Eat?

Old 05-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Banned

My hubs found out today he has diverticulitis. I know its very common but I don't know anyone that has it. What should he not eat?
Old 05-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

He should not eat oily foods. This includes nuts.It aggravates the illness and can cause severe diahrrea. My MIL has that too and has had it for years. You gonna tell me that you haven't googled it yet?
Old 05-19-2010, 05:09 PM

Sorry to hear it. I hope he's feeling well. Here's a website with info on diverticulitis diet.
http://www.diverticulitisdiet.net/di...itis-diet.html
Old 05-19-2010, 05:14 PM

My son at age one had mecels diverticulous, and had to have surgery it was a twist in his intestines, his was a birth defect but now I would consider any stomach pain to be an emergency trip to ER. After seeing the pain this baby was in and hearing later that the DR didn't think he would make it, It really would scare me. Unless this is something different.
He is at the age of 26 now having problems with his stomach again. Hope it it nothing like his was, we almost lost him!!
Old 05-19-2010, 05:14 PM
bj

My dad has had it for years. I know his big no no's are anything with seeds (my stepmom picks all the seeds out of tomatoes or peppers), beans, fresh bread, peels or skins, nuts, and maybe leafy greens (this one may be because he hates salad anyway). I think he has to be pretty careful with seasonings like pepper. He got really sick one time and thought he was being very good on his eating. Come to find out, he had been eating blueberry muffins at the coffeehouse. He didn't know the blueberries had little seeds in them. At one point, to avoid a colostomy, he lived on Ensure and boiled potatoes for several months. He's really careful and he's doing a lot better, as long as he doesn't get too cocky and go too crazy.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cjomomma
He should not eat oily foods. This includes nuts.It aggravates the illness and can cause severe diahrrea. My MIL has that too and has had it for years. You gonna tell me that you haven't googled it yet?
Thanks.....yes I have googled it but have read so many different things. I wanted to hear from people that have it and what their experiences have been. I have noticed for awhile now when he eats fried/greasy foods that it send him to the bathroom and I told him that awhile back. I think its time I force him to change his diet. His weakness is when we eat out he orders fried catfish or greasy ribs. I don't cook that stuff at home anymore.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Pam

Well good for you on the cooking! Hubby has it too, I use olive oil now and keep the other stuff to a minmum, but I light up his life with spice! IF you cannot take the heat, sleep in the bathroom!! I know I am a mean wife, but too funny!!!
Old 05-19-2010, 05:33 PM

My ex's Dr told him managing his stress would be better for him than any special diet. He had to have 18' of colon removed because of it. I think alcohol must have something to do with it too. Good luck
Old 05-19-2010, 05:40 PM

I have diverticulitis, I can't have nuts or seeds and have to increase my fiber intake. Stress just wreaks havoc with mine and green veggies aren't something I can eat a lot of or I'm living in the loo!
Old 05-19-2010, 05:41 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. But knowing is so much better than not knowing. Mother had it but I don't remember enough to be helpful. I remember no nuts.
((Hugs)). Is it okay if we all give hubby a hug too? Hugs for hubby too.