Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do three sort of disasters in a row mean that we're done with trouble for a while? >

Do three sort of disasters in a row mean that we're done with trouble for a while?

Do three sort of disasters in a row mean that we're done with trouble for a while?

Old 11-27-2010, 01:40 PM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

So, first it was the wireless internet and satellite dish that went out. We were off line for a week and a half, but got those replaced and were back on line. Then, before we'd even had time to enjoy those our gas company found four gas leaks, one at the tank, two in the hot water heater and one in my gas cook-top. The first three he could repair. The cook-top, he red-tagged. So, then off we went shopping for a new cook-top. During which we discovered that the range hoods that they sell at big box stores are not sufficient for most gas cook-tops, as they have to be able to move air cfm at 1% of total potential BTU output. Did you know that that kind of range hood costs almost as much or equal to the cost of the cook-top? Fortunately my husband is rather handy and he was able to install. Life was finally settling down when Tuesday evening while I was at work, my husband arrived home to find our 150+ year old, 70 foot tall, 60 foot wide, heritage blue oak (that inspired us to buy this property and build here) had simply laid down across our driveway. Fortunately she didn't lay down towards the house, and while the garage was blocked, no one had been at home to be blocked in. And, while she took out our power, a neighbor heard her go and called the electric company. They came out and cleaned up the loose wires and cut off power. We had our electrician out first thing Wednesday morning, the building inspector out that afternoon, and then the wait for the electric company to come back. We called everyone who was due at our house for Thanksgiving and rerouted them to my sister's house...Thursday morning we woke to discover that at 3:00 a.m. our power had been restored and we were back in business.

Even though these were major, unplanned expenditures (and I really miss my tree, no one was hurt during these events and we are so thankful for all that we do have. That being said, I would really be grateful if we didn't have anymore adventures like these for a looooooooooong time.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:52 PM

You absolutely must be related to us! I'm glad no one was hurt or stranded and hope your run of bad luck is over.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:57 PM

OMG!!! {{{{{HUGS}}}}} At least its over and everyone is OK. You had something to be truly thankful that day. Bet it turned out wonderful.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:00 PM

Yep, bad things happen in threes, you should be done for now! How horrible!! I'd be saddest at the tree's loss as well. It's not like you can plant another one that size!
Wishing you an extra special holiday season.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:03 PM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by MZStitch
Yep, bad things happen in threes, you should be done for now! How horrible!! I'd be saddest at the tree's loss as well. It's not like you can plant another one that size!
Wishing you an extra special holiday season.
Thank you for understanding....that was the only one that makes me cry...
Old 11-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

oh gosh, i'd say bad luck has to be over. keeping my fingers crossed for you.
i have a 50 yr old Blue Spruce in my front yard and worry about it falling down into my bedroom when we get over 90 mile an hour winds here. last time, some of our metal siding blew off!
Old 11-27-2010, 02:13 PM

OMG you certainly had some angels watching out for you as two of the three had the potential to be real disasters. So sorry about your tree....it had see it's time apparently and now it is time for new life to be planted in its place. (((hugs))
Old 11-27-2010, 02:13 PM

Can you sell the oak? and recoop some $$ Just a thought. Glad all is okay now
Old 11-27-2010, 02:16 PM

Just another day in paradise. At lest no one was injured.
Sorry about the loss of your tree. We lost one not anywhere as large as yours. Already replaced the tree with a pecan tree. One day it will be a nice shade tree with nuts to eat.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Cyn

Three is the magic number. Enjoy life for a while now- lol.