Old 11-27-2010, 01:40 PM
mosquitosewgirl

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

So, first it was the wireless internet and satellite dish that went out. We were off line for a week and a half, but got those replaced and were back on line. Then, before we'd even had time to enjoy those our gas company found four gas leaks, one at the tank, two in the hot water heater and one in my gas cook-top. The first three he could repair. The cook-top, he red-tagged. So, then off we went shopping for a new cook-top. During which we discovered that the range hoods that they sell at big box stores are not sufficient for most gas cook-tops, as they have to be able to move air cfm at 1% of total potential BTU output. Did you know that that kind of range hood costs almost as much or equal to the cost of the cook-top? Fortunately my husband is rather handy and he was able to install. Life was finally settling down when Tuesday evening while I was at work, my husband arrived home to find our 150+ year old, 70 foot tall, 60 foot wide, heritage blue oak (that inspired us to buy this property and build here) had simply laid down across our driveway. Fortunately she didn't lay down towards the house, and while the garage was blocked, no one had been at home to be blocked in. And, while she took out our power, a neighbor heard her go and called the electric company. They came out and cleaned up the loose wires and cut off power. We had our electrician out first thing Wednesday morning, the building inspector out that afternoon, and then the wait for the electric company to come back. We called everyone who was due at our house for Thanksgiving and rerouted them to my sister's house...Thursday morning we woke to discover that at 3:00 a.m. our power had been restored and we were back in business.

Even though these were major, unplanned expenditures (and I really miss my tree, no one was hurt during these events and we are so thankful for all that we do have. That being said, I would really be grateful if we didn't have anymore adventures like these for a looooooooooong time.