Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do You Have a Favorite Valentine Memory? >

Do You Have a Favorite Valentine Memory?

Do You Have a Favorite Valentine Memory?

Old 02-12-2012, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

Default Do You Have a Favorite Valentine Memory?

with Valentine's day being so close I would like to share my memory and hear about yours!!

When we were kids we always had to make our own Valentine Box that would sit on our desk on Valentines Day and we kids would hand out all our valentine's to our friends-which was the whole class. We also had a contest to see who made the best Valentine Box. I grew up in a class of 11 boys and 5 girls. So we were all close. One of the boys always had to have the best of everything,. So for the contest one year he brought a store bought box!! Scandalous because we were supposed to make our own!! We kids didn't think it was fair for him to win the contest with a store bought box! and he didn't win. But he sure thought he should have!! LOL

Have you any memories you'd like to share??
Old 02-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

our class was very small - 8 kids. we all hung valentine envelopes with our names on them on the chalk tray and couldn't wait to see what we got. lots were store-bought, but the ones i liked best were the home-made ones. many were decorated with cut up paper doilies. one had to pull them apart carefully to get just one layer to decorate the valentine. i thought that stack of paper doilies was just the neatest thing
Old 02-12-2012, 01:56 PM

I was 18 years old and a freshman in college. I had met a boy and had been dating him for 5 months.

On Valentine's Day he gave me a CACTUS!

I always said he was a diamond in the rough.

We celebrated 30 years of marriage last year. He gave me 30 roses and a cactus.

Elise
Old 02-12-2012, 02:02 PM

When my grandparents first married my granddad gave her a large card, as I recall maybe the size of a piece of copy paper or larger, with lots of trim like lace, big puffy fabric heart, beads and sequins - so adorned it came in a box not an envelope. My grandmother put that card out every February. What really amazes me as an adult is that she was so far from a frilly person, did not have a puffy-sequiny- sparkly thing in her wardrobe that I can every recall seeing, but this card was a true treasure to her.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:13 PM

My than 12 yr old daughter told me at bedtime one night she needed a homemade valentines box of course she was to make it herself but because it was bedtime and ect I thought oh well it isnt for a grade so I made it for her because she wasnt very crafty Imagine my surprise later that year when she earned an adward for an art project that she made by herself
Old 02-12-2012, 04:29 PM

My favorite memory is Valentine's Day, 1973. I thought for sure my then boyfriend was going to ask me to marry him. But, when we drove up to our favorite pizza place instead of some where special I was really disappointed. I was so surprised when we went in. They had a special table set up with candles and flowers. I got the ring and a really great guy.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:02 PM

Default Valentine Memory

I remember when we were kids we always made our valentines, that was fun. I also remember that my dh always bought me candy on the special day with a nice card. I did the same for him. As a matter of fact, he was thoughtful in that way and never missed a special day, birthday, anniversary, Christmas, etc., to give me a gift. He was really special in many ways and I miss him so much. We were married almost 52 years when he passed.

Happy Valentine's Day
Old 02-12-2012, 08:18 PM

31 yrs ago I got the biggest heart shaped box of candy because on Valentine's Day I had our 3rd baby girl. I still have that box. My DH doesn't believe in cards etc. We will celebrate our 40th ann. this June. He will be 67 2 days later. and my oldest daughter will celebrate her and SIL's 10th anniversary. Yes they got married on our wedding day and I was very proud to give my daughter's hand in marriage as my DH would not fly to New York City for the wedding.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:26 AM

My birthday is on Valentine's Day, and my mother made me a heart shaped cake with pink frosting and decorated with red cinnamon candies. It was so, so special. She made that every year until she passed. It made me feel very special.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:20 PM

My husband and I had just started dating - been only 1 month and he took me for dinner to The Top of The Mark, in San Francisco. That was February 14, 1975. We've been married for 36 years.