Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you like purple hull peas?

Just bought some locally grown purple hull peas from a vendor. They are sooooo good. Am cooking a big pan full for supper tonight and have invited the family. I'm making the Squash Casserole recipe that appeared on this board recently too, and am serving a big plate of ripe tomatoes. I told someone about my purchase and they replied that they thought purple hull peas were cow feed. Obviously they didn't grow up around here.

Love to eat them, hate to shell them.

Well, know I've learned something new again. Are they like green peas? I love those.

Blog Entries
    What time is Supper? This is a meal made in heaven:)

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    I have heard those called Fava beans..they are good but make sure you shell them...the outsides are woody and don't taste good to eat..add in some bacon, a little onion and mushrooms and they are fantastic!! crafty_linda_b

Love them loads. Got some at farmer's market this weekend.
    My dh's grandfather was that way about corn...wouldn't touch it. It was food for farm animals when he grew up!

Just saw where you are...it's a bit of a trip but supper sounds good tonight...enjoy!

Sounds great - I would like to try them but haven't seen them in the seed catalogs up here in MA. Hey, my grandmother was shocked to see that Americans ate corn! They gave it to the cows.

All we've got so far is asparagus, spinach, peas and lettuce. And the lettuce doesn't look anything like my head shot. My tomatoes are under 24" and the squash and beans are barely past the seed leaves. Artichokes and potatoes healthy, beets look sick, eggplants got bugs, onions and shallots hopeful, no sign of parsnips, Windsor beans thriving. We pruned the grapes too severely and they look like we'll have a bowlful, no jam.
    At least - after they ate five of my ten pepper plants 18" to the ground, left stumps - the new fencing is keeping out the woodchucks so far.
    Every year is different. We only have 25x50 feet .

You've got my mouth watering! Produce is so good in the summer! Bon appetit!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by countrycottage
    Just bought some locally grown purple hull peas from a vendor. They are sooooo good. Am cooking a big pan full for supper tonight and have invited the family. I'm making the Squash Casserole recipe that appeared on this board recently too, and am serving a big plate of ripe tomatoes. I told someone about my purchase and they replied that they thought purple hull peas were cow feed. Obviously they didn't grow up around here.
    Have you tried purple hull jelly? It taste similar to grape jelly. We love it, I plan on making it this year.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast