Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
do you think fabric sales have gone down >

do you think fabric sales have gone down

do you think fabric sales have gone down

Old 02-15-2011, 05:10 AM

since the price has gone so high? I have bought one piece in the last six months I am finding good fabric in clothing no longer used for anything. I actually cut up a wool coat yesterday to make bears. I am also depleting my stash but how long can we go without buying fabric?
Old 02-15-2011, 05:16 AM

I haven't bought fabric since before Christmas. I started doing the Farmers Wife Sampler as a scrappy quilt--first scrappy I've ever done and I'm amazed at the variety of fabrics in my stash. My stash is very small-doesn't even fill 4 shelves but I'm still able to make all the blocks so far.
To be honest--I'm dying here to buy some new fabric LOL!!! I'm going to a quilt expo in March so look out checkbook!!
Old 02-15-2011, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

I dont know. Seems like all the fabric stores are still busy here. I know I havent spent as much though.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:36 AM

I have always shopped the sales and the discount tables. Rarely the 'new' stuff. Last fabric I actually bought was Jan. 1 when the LQS had their annual sale of fat quarters. Also have a fairly good sized stash.....
Old 02-15-2011, 06:04 AM

I haven't bought much because I really don't need anything. I am sure that the bad economy is affecting the stores though.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:50 AM

I don't know if they are down since I haven't bought fabric in a while. I have enough fabric to make at least 2 other quilts. I do plan on using my 40% off coupons at Joanns as well as shopping on-line.

Most of the fabric I want to use I can't find in the local stores - good tropical-weight wool & linen.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:52 AM

I don't know if sales have gone down,...but I know for a fact that the women at the LQS have been very busy marking the prices way up!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:53 AM

My cutbacks were just a personal decision... way too many projects lined up and not getting through them, so why buy more? I feel bad about not supporting the LQS near here, but she is just going to have to get by without me for awhile!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:54 AM

There once was a large selection of fabric stores in this area, at least 5 that I can think of right off hand. All but JoAnns have closed or moved. I do most of my fabric shopping online now but really miss being able to see and touch the fabric before purchasing.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:15 AM

I do think the economy has hurt a lot of quilt stores. Over the past 3 yrs I have been shopping more & more out of my own stash and it feels so good to do that. It actually makes you think a bit more because you might need to substitute other fabrics now & again. From what I heard there was a bad cotton crop overseas last yr so that is why the cost of fabrics & batting have gone up. At the 1st of the yr I added up all the quilts that I had purchased the pattern & fabric for, but had never started & all I should need to buy is backing, batting and thread for quite some time.