Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you use a serger for any quilting? >

Do you use a serger for any quilting?

Do you use a serger for any quilting?

Old 11-04-2015, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

I made a few QAYG quilts for the grandkids to play on and used the serger. It was easy and they are holding up well. I just put the piece of backing under the body of the quilt and the batting and top fabric on top and serged and then brought everything to the right and did it again. I could use up pieces of batting. My strips were between about 4 and 7 inches wide.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:26 AM

I have a friend who uses a regular machine to piece blocks, then reinforces the seams by surging them -- she does this because her numerous grandchildren (and greats) are very hard on quilts and she wants them to last. I haven't tried this, but with only grandsons I will try it soon.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:42 AM

I'd just do it all on the serger, it seems like an extra step that isn't needed. The other great thing about doing it on a serger is there is no bobbin thread so you never have to worry about stopping to fill and change them. Most sergers have a 1/4 in mark and 1/4in feet as well. I do totally understand the little ones are very hard on them.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:24 PM

Wow! thanks everyone for these posts. I am thankful for all your help.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:54 PM

There are machines that are 3 Phase and those do require 220 not regular house power. Mine are all regular plug ins and even if you buy one with a 3 Phrase motor all you need to do is buy a Servo motor that is regular house current and you are more then ready to go. They even have Servo motors that have the needle down but on the two machines I have that on it needed a special adapter so it would fit on the hand wheel, I'm lucky my cousin made them for me. If you would like pictures I will gladly put some on for you. The Servo motor makes the machines much more controlled. I did use the serger without the Servo for probably 2 years with the regular clutch motor but the difference is night and day for controlling your speed. I also do suggest if possible you buy a Singer as needles, manuals, blades etc are far more readily available. Mine is a Rimoldi and everything except for the knobs is available but manuals are not very good. I do have a 3 thread Singer serger that never lets me down, this was the first machine that started the industrial machine quest for both my cousin and myself. I had the 3 thread first but really wanted a 4 thread because of the double straight stitch. Let me know if you need any assistance as I will be happy to help!
Old 11-05-2015, 04:13 AM

Nancy Zieman and Kaye Wood each have videos on serger quilts. They are a good introduction for you. I sew on my serger more than I use my machines. I can do a nice chain stitch as variation to quilting. The only disadvantage is that most sergers do not have a large harp or throat for quilting. If you bought the new models with the wider harp you should have little difficulty.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by quilttiger View Post
I have used the serger for the following: flatlocking to join large pieces of leftover batting, serging the raw edges of a quilt top, adding the binding to the quilted top, serging large pieces of fabric together for a backing, piecing squares together into a "fabric" before layering it with batting/backing to cut up for a fun quilted jacket and making a pillowcase to match a lap quilt.

Great input!
sandy
Old 11-05-2015, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Peggy Payson View Post
I have done 2 king sized log cabin quilts with my serger, very fast and accurate.
I have a queen sized log cabin I am going to be using as a wedding gift made on the serger. I used it in desperation when my sewing machine was overlong in the shop. And the serger did an amazing job!
Old 11-05-2015, 12:54 PM

I also have an industrial overlocker and it is very good. I have done a few of Kay Woods quilt and they are a great and reversible.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:21 PM

The best use of my serger was in serging the lining to the velvet of the princess design with sweetheart necklines of 10 bridesmaids dresses for the wedding of son #2's best friend. If you've ever worked with velvet, you'll have some idea how much fraying and fuzz the serging prevented. Nowadays, I use it for the quick making of dog beds for the shelter and finishing the edges of fabric for prewashing (I confess that I'm old-school about that). I wouldn't be without my serger when it comes to construction of garments with knit fabrics either.