Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you volunteer, and if so, tell us about it >

Do you volunteer, and if so, tell us about it

Do you volunteer, and if so, tell us about it

Old 08-08-2016, 04:31 AM

I volunteer at a quilting group to make quilts of all sizes for those that can use them. There are usually 8 to 10 of us that do the cutting, sewing and putting bindings on. Then, who ever knows who needs them, especially a boys home. We all are just happy that everyone that gets one enjoys them. Some crochet but they are thankfully used also. Keeps me up on my toes for sure so I have no time to get old, old, old. We all in this group just enjoy doing for others.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:37 AM

I belong to our church group called the 4 S Outreach Ministries. 4 S= Soup,sandwiches,socks and salvation, a group that helps our homeless here.Right now,I'm taking used but usable towels and cutting them into washrags.we then put them in a plastic zip lock bag with a small bar of soap(hotel samples we get from a company for 26 cents a piece.) and pass them out @ our food giveaway.we have a very large amount of homeless here,and the city even lets churches use a lot to set up food tables to feed them,so many churches are participating in it ,(nightly) that we only do it twice a month.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:44 AM

In the past, I have been a red-cross volunteer. I trained for emergency management and also, I had to be on call to help families who had been burned out of their homes. For three years, I drove someone to and from work everyday. For the last 3 1/2 years, I have babysat for my grandson while my daughter worked and went to school. After next week, I will be free, because he starts pre-school.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:13 AM

Default volunteering

I take a dog to visit senior citizen centers. I used to volunteer on a crisis intervention call line . Diane C.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

I use to volunteer for our local food bank but got very discouraged and quit. I have tried many different volunteer choices and discovered doing for the public is not that great in many areas. So my friend and I started a free community quilt class once a month. It's the eleventh year this year. We host a quilt every fall so the class can show their work. It's free to the public and all votes are viewer's choice.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:33 AM

I served on the board for our local Assault and Abuse center until the state (IL) cut the funds so much we had to close. I knit stocking hats for school age children and make quilts, both of these go to the local health department for distribution. I occasionally crochet an afghan for the same department. I have worked as an election volunteer for every election (primary, city and federal) for the past 14 yrs.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
I don't really volunteer but I do bake for my daughter and her family. As a treat I also will go over and clean her house every once in a while. She has 4 kids, 3 of them are in sports, she works full time and her husband teaches, coaches and also teaches night classes at a college. They are so busy! When I was a working Mom I always wished I could come home to a clean house!
To me, this qualifies as volunteering, and I just want to say what a GREAT mom you are for helping out. I know your daughter and her family really appreciate it. I do the same my for DIL and son as they have a very busy life also ... I just do it when I want to and not on any regular basis. I do it mostly as a surprise cleaning fairy and have let my GDs who are eight and seven know that the fairy will only clean their bedroom if it is cleaned up of toys put away. As they never know when I am coming, it has encouraged them to pick their toys up and put away.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:46 AM

My DIL works at a nursing home, so I volunteer there, Due to health issues , I can not commit to anything scheduled. So I phone the day I am having a good day and they have no problem getting a few ladies for me to go in and paint their fingernails for them and have a chit chat while painting . To the ladies it is a highlight of there day. I also sit and knit or crochet for half an hour or so with some other ladies. This works well for me and a win, win for all involved.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:27 AM

I volunteer at the local humane society as a kitten foster parent and at different events.....It's so rewarding......
Old 08-08-2016, 07:53 AM

I have been a Hospice volunteer for the last six years. I have met such wonderful people, both the patients and families. When faced with death most people need to talk but don't want to burden their families. I am there to give families some respite. I have written letters for patients, held their hands, taken them out in wheelchairs and just listened while they talked about their lives. I am truly blessed because they give so much more to me than I could ever give to them.