Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you volunteer, and if so, tell us about it >

Do you volunteer, and if so, tell us about it

Do you volunteer, and if so, tell us about it

Old 08-08-2016, 08:54 AM

wow so many things people do for others!!
I visit shut ins and people who just need someone to listen. I belong to a local quilt club and we make red/white/blue quilts for veterans that we give away to vets every year. I belong to a local garden club and furnish plants for the towns flower beds. I help my daughter prepare 'field food' for her husband, father in law and the help they need to hire in spring and fall. I serve various places in my church I am financial secretary, serve on the church council many years, as president of our womens group really another gal and I share this but she is gone much of the year. we tie quilt tops that members and pieced together and our small congregation sends 70 to 80 quilts every year to Lutheran World Relief. to raise money for mission work we have a soup supper in October, have 'Tour of Tables' every spring. which is we decorate 12 tables (members come up with unique ideas for these) the 'tour is about 1/2 hour after which we serve a full meal.
I could go on but you get the picture. at age 76 I no longer have a full time job but do have 4 house cleaning jobs to give me a little spending money
Old 08-08-2016, 09:41 AM

Habitat for Humanity...you do not have to serve on their Board to help! You can volunteer to provide a lunch for the house build team...any time it fits into your schedule. Quilters would be a great source for this ministry. Basic, decent housing is a blessing to those who otherwise cannot affort it. A hand UP! NOT a handout!

Sandy
Old 08-08-2016, 10:00 AM

Assistance League. I had never heard of it until I visited their thrift shop. When I saw their operation, I joined straightaway. The entire shop runs on volunteers, manager down. Very nice shop and hardworking ladies. We raised $137k this year for 27 scholarships to both graduating teens and women retooling to reenter the work force. Smallest amount is $3k up to $10k. That's to start. We also provided NEW school clothing to 1600 children in our area this year alone through our Operation School Bell. We visit rest homes to socialize with residents, provide cake decorating classes and the like to women's shelters; find a need, we'll try to meet it. It's a "leave all pettiness at the door/we have work to do" operation. Never saw a group of women, work so hard, in harmony and get this much done in all my life. Proud to be a member. It's a national organization. Check it out!
Old 08-08-2016, 11:47 AM

shortcake2012, I trained to be a volunteer for hospice for the reasons that you speak of. The training took 10 weeks. I made it to week 7. During the seventh week, we were told that we needed to give hospice receipts for our gas expenses, for any flowers or cards that we might give to the families, etc. They wanted a copy of my nursing license too. I'm not sure why. The reason they wanted our receipts were for tax write off purposes. Because they are a for profit organization. My first thought was, what do my receipts have to do with you? I made the decision not to move forward with the training for that reason. Apparently there had been another volunteer the previous year who felt conflicted for the same reasons I did. The idea of being there for families at such a difficult time really did appeal to me. Having been on the other side of this, I know that what you are doing makes a difference.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:36 PM

I am in awe of all the wonderful things my fellow quilters do for others, kids, communities, those in need or not well. Thanks to all of you for all you do! I have found my niche working at the Thrift Shop my local hospital has. We sort, we price, we clean, we sell, whatever needs doing. My fellow volunteers are dedicated, fun and wonderful to be around. It gives me so much more than I expected. I am very shy and having a shared task is a wonderful way for me to meet new people, much like quilting does.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:08 PM

*** This is a wonderful bunch of ladies/gentlemen.
*** You are a caring, concerned, giving group.
*** I don't volunteer yet, but plan to.
*** THANKS TO ALL OF YOU.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:09 PM

I've volunteered many times. These are just a few:

1) Worked with the Boy Scouts of America - from Den Leader/Cubmaster through Council and Regional positions (30 years)
2) Worked at a local food pantry - stopped when I moved from that area
3) Worked at my local library bar coding the entire 10,000 plus items getting library ready for online checkout
4) Make quilts for charity (through my guild)
5) Various "jobs" within quilt guilds

I haven't been volunteering much lately, but need to get back into it.

I am amazed at the varied "jobs" you all have done! Keep up the great work and THANK YOU to all who give of themselves to others!
Old 08-08-2016, 06:08 PM

I deliver meals on wheels to homebound seniors one day a week, am a tour guide at a local historic site and an election day worker, and I do our church bulletin every week.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:11 PM

Your little hats are so, so , sweet and any little one will be so warm and sweet also wearing something made with so much love in it. Great job...wow 300... I like them all, but the pumpkins are my favorite. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:48 AM

I volunteer my time Thursday's mornings during the school years at an elementary school. My time is split between a kindergarten and first grade class. I tell the teachers that I am there to be a blessing to them and will help with whatever is needed doing. Field trip help, collating papers, art work, decorating room, etc. I absolutely love it! I also volunteer at a local church ( not the one I attend) in making comfort charity quilts.